BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be keeping my boat behind Stone Harbor this season instead of Avalon due to a better deal on a slip and I like the location a little better. I'm used to running out of Townsends Inlet and have only gone out of Hereford Inlet a couple times and only once last year. It was a little dicy getting out. Do any of you guys frequently use Hereford Inlet and have any tips for getting in and out safely. You would think they would at least mark it with buoy's like Townsends Inlet has so you know where it's safe. Some people claim that Hereford's is un-navigable like corsons inlet. Are they ever going to dredge it out to make it more navigable? That would be nice!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Its a closed inlet, no bouys. You can get in and out, last year seemed to be the best in years, deep water even at low tide. The inlet can change every couple of weeks so dont go by someone elses GPS Cords because it can shift daily. Best is to run it slow and just watch visual and your depth. Getting out is easy, its getting back in thats tricky...good luck...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We didn't even try to come back in thru hereford last year we just ran back north to townsends. It's a shame they don't make rock jetties out of all the inlets like cape may inlet to stop the sand from shoaling up so bad and making them dangerous!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Glad that slip worked out for you!:) Hope you enjoy it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Like Phil said. Not a charted inlet and no maintenance or dredging operations done. However, it can be run and I have been running it for many years. Last year was excellent.I do recommend running it slow and learning the area, but it can be done. I totally agree that a rock pile on the northern side would be great, but I highly doubt we will ever see that happen due to costs. Keep an eye on other boats this spring. There are many locals guys who run that inlet often. They know the drill. My dock neighbor ran it all last year and I think his boat is 34'. Be safe.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't know about running the inlet but do see boats in there fishing - assuming with little pressure there's a fair amount of fluke/bass/etc. lying in the drop-offs.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My buddy runs it all the time. He pulls his track lines up and runs in the middle of them on the machine and keeps an eye out for breakers. Its not real deep once u get out maybe 8 feet

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a boat and keep also keep it in Stone Harbor. I am new to the waters of Stone Harbor - I have ran out of Avalon and Townsends Inlet in the past. Yesterday I tried to come in Hereford's Inlet at low tide using chartplotter and map as guide. I could not make it through inlet as I need 3 ft. - it got a little dicey for a few minutes as well. I had no idea that the inlet was closed - I was wondering why there are no buoys as there are in Townsends inlet - guess that would explain it. Aside from traveling to Townsends inlet and heading to Stone Harbor via the ICW - which has little water at low tide, what are my other options? Thanks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I recently bought a boat and keep also keep it in Stone Harbor. I am new to the waters of Stone Harbor - I have ran out of Avalon and Townsends Inlet in the past. Yesterday I tried to come in Hereford's Inlet at low tide using chartplotter and map as guide. I could not make it through inlet as I need 3 ft. - it got a little dicey for a few minutes as well. I had no idea that the inlet was closed - I was wondering why there are no buoys as there are in Townsends inlet - guess that would explain it. Aside from traveling to Townsends inlet and heading to Stone Harbor via the ICW - which has little water at low tide, what are my other options? Thanks.

use the cut on the ww side.stay close to the beach and you'll have plenty of water.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
It's hard enough going out Hereford let alone coming in without having run it before. Your lucky you didn't end up a salvage in the breakers. You draw 3"? What kind of boat are you running?

The only way to learn the inlet is to do it at low tide. Going out is much easier then in, you can see everything in front of you. Mark a deep route, but you can't always rely on a previous route, a day of two of a blow and the sand in there changes. Favor the Wildwood side of the inlet, it's a wider area. Don't be stupid, if it's rough out that inlet is like a washing Machine. Take your time and learn it, don't become a Champagne island statistic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts