BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never run Herefords before and wanted to get some insight from the barn. Was in the area yesterday coming out from the ICW and couldn't see any real markers for the channel and it looked like a solid wall of breakers all the way across. Additionally it looks like some dredging is going on as well. All my NOAA charts have no detail for the area. Can anyone give me some general info with headings or lat/lon on the markers? Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think if you stay close to Stone Harbor Point you can navigate the water on the way out. From the Wildwood side forget it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Come in through Cold Spring Inlet (Cape May) and take the ICW. Hereford is horrendous, like Corsons.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
THEY ARE TRYING TO STOP THE INLET FROM CLAIMING HOUSES IN NWW BY BUILDING A BETTER SEAWALL.THEY WILL NOT DREDGE CAUSE THE INLET IS AND HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR YEARS.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks all. That explains the lack of markers. I was hoping to use it as an option to avoid the ICW at night after doing dinner in WW heading north back to Avalon. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Brian,
Do a search on Offshore Forum,topic Hereford North Cut. I posted the #s for a current channel.
Do not attempt until you have idled thru at dead low and get a feel for it.
At night I would opt for ICW.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Libation or Rageboat.....

Are either of you heading out of Hereford this weekend or next week? I haven't made the run yet this year, and even with the numbers I'd like to follow someone out to get the visuals first (if possible). I will be running a 23 Grady, or just testing with a 19 ft. skiff.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was out over the weekend from the toll bridge and found that if you go in between champagne island and the other sand bar it is deep water straight out. I also learned that when you come back and try to follow the beach you are putting your life in your own hands. I wont do that again! be carefull!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
I hope to be running it next week for sure. I am off for vacation and plan to fish. Did you get the numbers from Libation's previous post? I have not used it yet this season, but plan on scouting it out soon. Where are you docked in SH?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Do NOT run Hereford in total darkness....

You never know when an extra large swell could cause a breaker.

Some may be in a position to do so...but if you are asking where the markers are...my guess is a bit more experience is necessary to run breaking inlets...especially at night (which should never be the option of a recreational boater).

·
Registered
342 Posts
yes the north side. you are able to see the breakers and swells and can find the path through the mess. try the south side and we will be reading about you in the paper.

[ 06-28-2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Verse ]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The Reckoning- not looking good for an offshore trip for me this weekend, go ahead and scout it out @ dead low @ idle, it will be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
You don't see any markers because it is an unnavagable inlet. CLOSED. With good reason, :eek: Good Luck boys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last time we took Hereford we surfed it in at low. Scares the crap out of the kiddies but the big kids have a blast. Practice and a spare boat.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts