BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some time to check out the spots and they don't have Herring yet, but I'm running late to get out on the water this year. This weekend I will be on the water and I will know with certainty if they are coming up the river.

By the way for anyone who fishes for Herring at the Batsto Dam, it will be off limits due to the new fish ladder. NO fishing at all from 542 north and a no fishing zone in the lake near the ladder opening.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bob,
Thanks For That Info... Appreciate It...

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ranger said Fish and Game will be handling the closing of that section and it will be marked/posted. I would assume they will be watching it like a hawk once it gets Herring in there.

·
Banned
82 Posts
The 2006 regs says that it is illegal to "fish within 100 feet (or as posted) of any fish ladder entrance or exit from March 1 through June 30." So I hope that the idiots at DEP (the ones with the bright idea to put in a fish ladder to let herring go into a habitat not suitable for spawning and then return over a 10 foot spillway onto a concrete pad to get smashed) will reduce that 100 foot limitation.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Soooooooooo...............????? :confused: There is still a river flowing into the lake. There is still a river channel in the lake. Herring will spawn in the river upstream. They will find the river by sense of smell, just like they found the river to get there in the first place from the Mullica.

There are successful herring spawns on a ton of dammed lakes that have been dammed for centuries. Why should this one be any different?

[ 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Pinerat were did you get the 100 feet info at. I'd like to be able to hold them to that cause if they close down from 542 north that would suck.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw that "as posted" and immediately smelled a rat.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Itried to get as many people together when they were talking about putting in the ladder not hardly anyone wanted to listen but you cannot fish within 100 foot of a fish ladder,have fun at batsto.Louis

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It really won't be to hard on me cause I have both rivers to use, but the dam at Batsto can be easy pickins when they are there.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Sorry FLy Tryer but I could not follow what you were trying to say. The ladder at batso is unnecessary. The fish have plenty of habitat to spawn below the dam and within the Mullica River. They don't need to travel into what remains of the Basto River above the lake and their return trip down river should be really interesting. I'm wondering (if they even use the damn ladder)how many dead or crippled herring we'll see after they hit the concrete spillway pad. Trust me I know, after 30 years on the river and a B(ull)S(&^%)degree in Marine Bio.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Hey It's Gittin Deep,
I actually sent a response to the proposal several years ago and requested a public hearing like it said you could. In the final document they dismissed most of my concerns without any vaild conclusions, including the removal of a significant area (by that 100 foot limit) of a historic recreational fishery.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Whether or not the ladder is unnecessary was not your original line of posting. You said the lake was not suitable spawning habitat because it was not there centuries ago, and I said that there are plenty of lakes today that have been around for centuries that host successful spawning runs with the introduction of ladders.

Whether or not they spawn right below the dam or in the Mullica was not part of the original thread. I agree with you there, I don't doubt it at all. I mean, obviously they do, or else there wouldn't have been any herring running to Batsto for the past 2 centuries! I was just saying that just because there's a lake there doesn't mean it's not still instictual for the herring to try to run as far upstream as possible before spawning. They only stop at the dam before because they couldn't go over it. Put in a ladder, and they will continue upstream. The lake will pose no barrier to them getting into the upper stream, as they can find the in-source of water by smell.

And coming down over the dam will cause some mortality, sure, just like going UP the fish ladder, but most will survive the trip. The dam isn't that big. It's not like they are going over the Hoover Dam. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most of the herring coming back down will also use the ladder. Lets not loose sight that this is not just about spawning but also about the herring fry having suitable habitat to survive prior to heading out to sea. By making it past the dam the adults will give their offspring more of the Batsto river to start their life which is a good thing and should increase the overall health of that stock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts