get herring?

Why types of places do I look?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
boostedcpe said:
just remember you cant keep them!!!:rolleyes:
Why is that? Herring are legal to keep just the daily bag limit is 35 and you can use no more than 3 hooks on a rig. As far as I have heard their are none up there yet and I have heard they are VERY spotty south on the river.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey Mike, Was that your father In Law I spotted on the river around 430 ish yesterday afternoon ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will be heading out on Sunday. Will post report and let everyone know how I make out. Will try for herring and also going to use bloods to try for those first stripers! Good fishing!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
went up this morning, extremely high tide at first, 15 feet under the
trenton bridge with alot of marks, no boats there.

Stayed till about 2, trying drifting, anchoring, no herring, lots of marks.

Tried frozen mullet on circles I had from last year, no takers.

Boats starting coming in during the early afternoon, boats that
we did see had gotten nothing on herring.

Lots of wood in the water around Burlington and the Turnpike bridge,
but pretty clear higher up

Next week

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'm wondering now what those marks could've been.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Dee's Nuts said:
Hey Mike, Was that your father In Law I spotted on the river around 430 ish yesterday afternoon ?
Me Mike? I highly doubt it... my ex-father in law is a jackass snobby prick who lives in the Princeton area the closest he gets to the water is a bottle of Evian.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
No Joe, that wasnt Ken, the boat is still wrapped, he is cutting it free in the next 2 weeks I think. I am gonna be over his house on Sunday morning helping rewire the bilge, and some other stuff just to make sure its all ready for the onslaught.

missingtwo, Dees was asking me that question;) btw, i wasnt talking about herring, I was talking about stripers.:p :eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Fished the lower area this evening a few spots near the Tacony Palmyra bridge and only caught a pig of a channel cat had to have weighed 10 lbs. Used bloodworms and fresh clams, only bites were on the clams. Was getting temp readings around 48F. It was a great trip though, took a friend out who hasn't fished in probably 10 years. An older guy that when i was a teenager here in Philly took me under his wing so to speak and would take me out saoking worms for catties on the river. It was only fitting that he caught the only fish of the day, hopefully we will get into the stripers next week!

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Way to go backpain! It is funny how the tides change. We were too young to go alone, unless an older person took us. Now we enjoy fishing with the older people that took us years ago.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I made it out today around 6am and the herring started to hit as soon as the sun rose above the marina walls. We were able to catch plenty of herring on the incoming and outgoing tides. We did not have the same luck with stripers, however. Only one fish barely reaching 24" to speak of. We were able to land a 5lb shad and an 8lb catfish. We finally pulled out of the water just after 4pm. A very long day and not much to speak for it. It can only get better!

·
Registered
445 Posts
As slow as the river has been to warm up it is going to take a few more days. They are just now starting to get em' good in the Dbay, so the river can't be far behind!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts