BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any info about herring in great bay? is the 35 fish limit of the rivers enforced on the bay ? Is it leagal to use cast nets in the bay for herring ? Any input appreciated................new kid in town

[ 03-27-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: moonshadow ]

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Moonshadow,
Welcome to the barn!
I`m sure someone with more experience with catching herring will get to you soon...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The saltwater situation on HERRING is even stranger than fresh. If you hook and line them in salt water there is no limit. With a bait net, (cast net, bait seine, dip net) the limit is still 35.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
moonshadow,

Unless you have a commercial bait net license, the 35 herring limit applies in Great Bay. The follwing is from the NJ Marine Fish Regs:
No license is required for the taking of baitfish
for personal use with the following gear:

1. Dip nets 24" in diameter or less for the taking
of herring for live bait.
2. Bait seines 50 feet long or less.
3. Cast nets 20 feet in diameter or less.
4. Lift or umbrella nets four feet square or less.
5. Not more than five killipots.
6. Not more than two miniature fykes or pots for
the taking of eels for bait.
Fish taken in this manner may not be sold or
used for barter unless a commercial bait net
license is in possession.
No person shall take more than 35 alewife or
blueback herring in aggregate per day by hook and
line or the above listed gear.

To get to Basto, the herring must go thru Great Bay. (That's all I know about Great Bay, sorry)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul, Dave, & maine_ sport for the welcomes & the input.here's to a happy,healthful,sucessful season. moonshadow

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
NO LICENSE? $%&^......I went and gotta license. Had to fill out a questionare as to wether or not I owe child suppoet. What's this all about I said? NEW JERSEY trying to say fishermen are deadbeat dads?.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
candyman it's all licenses,hunting fishing driveing,

it makes you wonder what were they thinking with this program, what dead beats don't lie too..

maybe thats the catch they charge em with faurd too..who knows..

i would like to see the numbers is this program working? if not get rid of it... and fine the poeple that came up with this dumb *** ideal...

maybe thats a way to stop the feel good programs."look what we're doing !" yes...nothing your fined for wasteing tax payers money :D

freedom ots.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Even with a bait net lisence the limit is still 35 in tidal water. The bait net lisence just lets you sell them and they have to be caught in tidal (no freshwater lisence) waters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts