BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a break from targeting stripers the past couple nights and concentrated on stocking up on flounder bait. Been to my herring spots and I was catching them good on a sabiki with and shad dart but I am having trouble with ID. They have the small rectangular spots on their back before their dorsal and the lower jaw extends further than an American Shad. So I am thinking Hickory Shad but cannot find any regulations on them. I know American Shad is 6 per day and andr. herring is 35 per day. New Jersey freshwater regulations state a closed season for hickory shad.

Throw me a bone here. I gotta be honest and saw that I am been freezing them up for bait without even thinking about it.

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, you can't keep hickory shad caught in freshwater. In saltwater I believe you are allowed to take them, but don't quote me on it. You might want to double check that. I don't know why there is a difference, but it's the same for a lot of Atlantic Coast states. Maybe has to do with spawning? I dunno.

Hickory Shad for reference

[ 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.