BASS BARN banner

herring on the fly?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Frank Mihalic 
#1 ·
with all of the talk about herring in the area either now or in the near future, i got to thinking about getting them on the flyrod. has anyone ever tried this? i would imagine that you would need to use really small flies, say like a size 16 or something that closely resembles a sabiki rig.

#3 ·
Caught plenty. We used to go around millville, close to trout season. Menanico (sp) & upper tuckahoe. Trout gear with somewhere around 1/32oz, way lighter than current jiggies or closers, with the barest wisp of marabou. One of the guys from the old club SWFROA made the jigs. Lots of fun & a really nice early outing. Ron

[ 03-05-2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

#5 ·
I'll let you know if the herring are running. I'll also let you figure out what to do
. Bring your 3wt and some tiny marabou jiggies.

#7 ·
dave, what size hooks would you suggest? i have a nice assortment of trout hooks from my early tying days, and i wouldn't mind using them for some herring flies. i don't see the need for stainless hooks since the flies should be fairly easy to mass produce.

#8 ·
I know I said jiggies before, but I meant clousers. Although, little beadhead jiggies would work just fine too, and not only for herring. Another idea is forming.....
I use #6 or #8 hooks, but you can use smaller if you want. Find a school of herring, cast into the middle of them, and hold on. It's really easy fishing if the fish are biting and you can sight fish for 'em. I use 3lb test tippet so the fly sinks more quickly. You really don't need more than that unless stripers are around.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Backwater:
I've caught them on small "shrimp-like" flies. First saltwater fish ever on the flyrod for me. Size 6 hooks I think. Black with a little flash under lights at night.
Very good advise there. BW!
When I was a non- flt guy, I would use a herring jig...actually a #6 long shank gold hook with a bit or weight molded on...all gold.
Add a split shot about 2' ahead and do the wiggle with your rod tip, and if they are there, you are in!

The tinyest curly tail grub in chartreuce on a speck of a jig head was also very good. As stated by those who walked before us, a wisp of hair is more than enough...
Have fun guys!

btw....I was speaking to Bob Pop a few days back and he also mentioned the SWFROA...We have much to thank you guys for!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.