BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't tried herring on the fly, now is the time. Just put on any silverside pattern on a 5, 6 or 7 wt. rod (depending on the wind) and you can pass the time waiting for the bass to come in. Not a bad way to fill the live well either. They will readily hit the fly, and are like little tarpon.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
You speak wisely.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Seems to me I have only caught them during daylight hours. I was out on my sodbank as the sun went down last night. They were there nipping at my fly until the sun went down and then nothing. I know they like the small flashy stuff so what might work after dark? I usually switch over to black striper flies at that time but when the stripers aren't around is there a nightime fly for the herring?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good question. I've never tried for them at night. Maybe someone else can answer that.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Originally posted by onthefly:
If you haven't tried herring on the fly, now is the time. Just put on any silverside pattern on a 5, 6 or 7 wt. rod (depending on the wind) and you can pass the time waiting for the bass to come in. Not a bad way to fill the live well either. They will readily hit the fly, and are like little tarpon.
Was that you in the inlet (Whaler?)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
During the day I get them on jiggies with a fast retrieve. After dark I get some under lights with very small flies, but they don't seem to bite with the same gusto and sometimes stop totally after dark with no lights around. Is your water pretty clean? Our water still looks bad down here. Hope you catchem and some bass too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Water was a little mucky. I could see a foot or two down. It was a beautiful evening on the bank, just no fish!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts