BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favotite bait shop is telling me he can't by law buy herring until May 1 ?
He also said his supplier can't net until 5/1

Anybody know anything about this ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
As explained to me by my netters and the law. you can not purchase or sell herring caught above the fresh water line, The fyke net guys who can sell in salt have to stop by the last day of april. I just spoke to my guys and he said they are showing but because of temp and cold rains the run has not been very good but he thinks I should have a good supply soon, I hope he's right the clock is ticking.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Even after May 1st, Alewife are not legal to be taken in fresh waters. Only blueback herring may be taken commercially in fresh waters.

Alewife are striper candy. The new law put me out of business, but yet the state will allow Camden Aquarium a science permit that will allow them to catch more than 10,000 herring (alewife and blueback).

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Cookie, yes they net HERRING, a few of us want to supply a few for striper bait. There are giant purse seiners offshore that turn thousands of TONS into fish meal or cat food.

I was hoping to get an excess to be able to sell to other bait shops, but the weather has been a killer so who knows what will happen.

Bucktail Willie, give your bait shop my name if I get lucky in the next few days I might be able to help him out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The amount of herring taken by fyke netters is only a small fraction compared to what the sports take out of the water, FYI cookie

·
Banned
374 Posts
I'M GOING TO GET IT STARTED AGAIN.

Lets do away with the comms to save the fisheries for the sportsmen. Sounds good yep. Then try to buy your squid, herring, chum, and other bait you rely on. Oh but maybe its ok if its for the sportsmen. Something sounds fishy here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fred,
Fyke nets and purse seiners are two different techniques. I would welcome any information you have to support your claim.
Just an example- we don't get weakfish up this way anymore. Used to be a great fishery. The comms net them all up down S. Jersey and very few make it up here. Same thing with the whiting. NO MORE. Take as many as you can, deplete the fishery then move on to the next fishery. That's what I mean by there goes another fishery,FYI.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i'll support fred's claim, cookie. how many fyke netters are there compared to the rec. dip netters? go take a ride to the trellis or 11th ave or wherever the pickins are easy and you'll see. i dont want to hear that the fykes catch 24/7. they only catch herrin when they're runnin. same with the dip netters.
ever buy bait? thank a comm. fisherman

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the guys whoy think they have a clue as to why there are no fish around, whether it be to much rain, drought, storms etc., etc., but the commercial guys always get the blame, even if they do not fill the quotas half the time(AAH whats a quota)as far as weakfish are concerned I had one of the best years ever last year, with large fish especially , if you do not know where to find the fish you will not catch them, like eelball said don't you use bait!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
no I don't use bait. I prefer to use plugs or rubber. Up this way in Monmouth county the weaks were scarce to non-existant last year. We would watch a netter work within casting distance(not an exageration)of the jetties up here set on school after school of weakfish. You guys are nuts if you think the comms with a large net catch less than recss. I dart/jig herring. For my own personal use(Live) I can only catch the ones that hit the lure. A commercial netter that sets his nets in the ocean over the motherload of herring or any other species catches the whole load, whether they are in a bitin mood or not.I dont specifically target weakfish but usually catch some on bombers whlie bassin'.BTW I would love to see your data backing up your claim.also, when was the last time you caught a whiting in NJ. There are none! thanks to the comms.
Just to keep the story straight my initial response was to G.Dave about the huge boats offshore netting them. But feel free to put your own slant on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
BUCKTAIL YOUR FAVORITE SHOP I THINK IS MY WIFE'S ROD AND REEL,OR WHALE CREEK,KARENS PLACE.HE TALKS ABOUT YOU ALL THE TIME AND I LISTEN,WHEN YOU GUYS WERE YOUNG,AND FISHING FOR TIDE RUNNERS,ADN CATHING BIGG ONES

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bucktail, you're not young anymore?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ramblin--got that right I'm not young anymore but I remember well the good old days in Strathmere
and everyday hope to see them again .
Fishing is pretty good right now BUT catching is the problem.I had 30 Fluke and 18 bass by this time last year and all I've got so far this year is 3 nice bass and 15 winter flounder.
Can't use water temp as excuse as it has reached 50
DID you leave any fish in florida ?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just as I start to get it figured out they change the game! LOL I had a good year down here, learn a little more each season. Wish we had the same things up there.. Gives me something to look forward to next winter. Ramblin is loaded on the trailer and I'm headin up Sunday morning... See ya back there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts