BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by some of the "usual" spots this afternoon on the way back from dropping my kid off at the train in Trenton...

... nutin yet...

Bumped into a couple familiar faces taking a look as well.... they were coming up empty too..

Any time now....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wait for the lilacs to bud, a tip from the old timers.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hey FM, I did the same yesterday too, dropping my daughter off in Trenton for the train! The water under the Trenton bridge had some good flow to it! You might've been able to surf it.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what got me up there George.... I never try to keep first run alive anyway so I was just figuring for enough to make a stack of stripbaits... I'll start running up there regular the end of the week..

E-maill me your cell and I'll call you if I connect....

·
Registered
782 Posts
jrisapirate said:
New Moon will bring the big run I think, couple weeks still.
You nailed it.

April 1 thru 10.

Fish will run 1-2 days after heavy rainfall as current subsides.

As for the full moon, it makes a lot of sense as fish are known to have increased locomotion and orient their body in direction to light in what is called dorsal light reaction.

Maybe it's the period of darkness and then a glimmer of new moon light that gets them moving.

The most obvious herring behavior is diel vertical migration, which is a fancy word for moving toward the surface at dusk and downward at dawn. ;)

Ok, stop reading and go fish or prepare. :D

·
Registered
77,311 Posts
sunnydaze that was a very good post.
Thanx

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ed...herring without me this year...just wont be the same! I might have to sneak away with you a day or two.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Got there at 6:45pm. Put waders on, tooka little water walk. Back at truck before it was dark. I had 27 and needed 8 for my limit, but ended with 20 on my last pull. Had to let some go...for legal purposes.:cool:

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
anybody catch them at night under lights? such as going to a remote location where herring is caught during the day. will putting bright lights on the water work? not talking about a bridge with lights. a dark spot not having any lights.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
There was definately a run on the full moon of Good Friday. Finder was solid black in a few spots on the Muddy Mo, ospreys were confirming the finder. They's here

1 - 20 of 27 Posts