BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like the hammer Iam, the GF and I went chasing herring tonight. Well lemme tell you we were in Atlantic County and Cape County at a couple of spots... we did nothing! So as most of the old heads said... its kinda early and we need the new moon. But we I tried and thats why I fish and catch fish sometimes! It was an exciting night though with the wind, rain and of course a flat tire in Corbin City....yes we did the Nascar tire change in the rain with the gear all out of the car! Trying to save money on gas and leaving the truck home still cost us. Best of luck to all who are trying early for whatever species!

Jersey Mike and Colleen who is now scared of the dark!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
At least your tried!!!!!

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I going to try to head out this wknd for the herring again along with fishing the river, cleaning the yard up, playing the easter bunny and Easter Dinner at mom's house. I haven't heard much chatter about them and as usual everyone is tight lipped like an oyster cracker. I just wpuld like some early ones bf they get up in the big D.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
No herring in the rancocas yet. I checked the dams yesterday and put in over an hour and didn't see anything. Water was running really hard with all the rain we had it is was like chocolate milk.

·
Registered
160 Posts
3/18/2008

I checked the Great Egg River and nothing yet as well. I did see some bait but not sure what it was possible peanuts along the Longport Jetty and moving along the beach front. They were scattering like something was pushing them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Herring

The Herring are moving up the Bay.I got some last week from a Perch netter.He has some more for me I have to pick them up later.HRL:)

·
Registered
77,419 Posts
Bunka Chunka said:
The Herring are moving up the Bay.I got some last week from a Perch netter.He has some more for me I have to pick them up later.HRL:)
Harry you have mail.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Herring

TROP said:
Bunka does the netter got any extra.
TROP
[email protected]
Joe I'll see if he has some more.He had em as early as 2 weeks ago I cant believe they arent up to Trenton by now.HRL:D

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question

Ok enough of the other posts back to fishing. I was wondering if anybody has ever caught herring at night? I'm thinking of heading down to Atlantic County and chase herring on sat night. I was thinking of hanging a lantern close to the water like I was night fishing for weakies. My other question has anybody every tried throwing a 1/8 or 1/16 oz rooster tail at them. I always do the sabiki thing or the gold spoon. Any info would be great...thanks and no racist comments allowed! lol

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cmon give me some insught here!!!!

Well can I get some feedback on my last post or what?

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
897 Posts
you can get them at night........under the lights.not sure if the latern would help all that much.look for bridges with lights.u might pick at them with rooster tail,but would have much better luck with sabikis or the small gold spoons........good luck and word up g money grip,yo:cool:

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
missingtwo said:
Ok enough of the other posts back to fishing. I was wondering if anybody has ever caught herring at night? I'm thinking of heading down to Atlantic County and chase herring on sat night. I was thinking of hanging a lantern close to the water like I was night fishing for weakies. My other question has anybody every tried throwing a 1/8 or 1/16 oz rooster tail at them. I always do the sabiki thing or the gold spoon. Any info would be great...thanks and no racist comments allowed! lol

Jersey Mike

Anymore feedback?

·
Registered
210 Posts
i fished at the bridge in longport but is now closed. i fished there at night for herring with sabiki rigs and caught them we never caught them until night time so im thinking go out at night. hope that helps

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
YOU GOTTA PLAY TO WIN ,GAME ON !!:cool:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
missingtwo said:

Jersey Mike
You gotta be more specific on what kind of herring.
The herring you would get at Longport bridge with sabiki's would be ocean herring and they will work the shadowlines like some other fish, working the bait that washes through. Sabiki's are your best bet.

The blueback and alewifes are the ones up the rivers. You wont see them at the bridges at night, and they DO NOT LIKE lights on them. They will spook and be gone. If you go for them at night, keep the lights off the water, and you'll do better. They run on big tides, moon stages..blah,blah blah

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Herring

The run is going strong,get out and catch em,HRL:D

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ellball

Thanks for the response and sorry about not being specific. I chase the blueback in the rivers like the egg ect. I have never tried the lights thing and was just wondering. I appreciate your reponse you seem to have alot of info in your posts.

Im not a big fan of crowds so I thought the nighttime might be better. Not that I don't like people but 30 guys with Sabikis in the same spot can be a pain.

I have been on a search of a good map of all tidal and non tidal waters in SJ. Do you have any suggestions. One of the bait shops I frequent the owner could not remember the name of the company who makes the maps. I will stop in monday and see if he has the named for me. Any help in this dept would be great also. Thanks again guys and be safe!!

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have been on a search of a good map of all tidal and non tidal waters in SJ. Do you have any suggestions. One of the bait shops I frequent the owner could not remember the name of the company who makes the maps. I will stop in monday and see if he has the named for me. Any help in this dept would be great also. Thanks again guys and be safe!!

Jersey Mike[/quote]

Home Port charts?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts