BASS BARN banner

Herring Run

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  MEANMACHINE 
#1 ·
Can anyone help explain this herring thing to me. I understand they spawn in freshwater rivers and creeks and such and stripers love them. How do I catch them? When can I start fishing for them? I am a regualar at crowleys landing and batsto and chesnut neck can I catch these critters around here?

#4 ·
Don't think they have shown at Batsto good in a few years. Mays Landing is where I "usually" go. Late April, early May should be ok. Depends on moon and water temps. I bounce around till I find em. Sabiki rigs work great, if you don't mind a hook now and then. Also, most have 6 hooks. I'm not sure, but somewhere I think I read or heard only 3 hooks per line? I use gold jigs, chartruse, and white. Smallest you can get. 4 pound line is best, IMO. Can use 2, but a lot of break-offs when lifting fish. Hope this helps. There are a lot of other places too. Milville(brokeback village)near the dam, Menatico Creek 2 name a few.

#6 ·
on the hook said the right thing, "bounce around till I find them". Don't waste time hanging around a spot that won't pay off. Mays Landind is VERY popular with fisherman and Rangers alike, so be prepared for an inspection. Regarding the Mullica areas, they see Herring every year to some degree, timing is everything here today gone tomorrow. I do well because I have the locations and time at hand. Dip nets and the occasional cast net are all I run to catch them. Cast nets have a tendency to spook them, but work when they are thick. The dip nets catch them and are a lot less invasive keeping the whole herd a bit calmer. Sometimes it can take a half days worth of wading and other times I can be back in an hour or less with a limit all depends. My favorite springtime Herring imitator is a Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow in the 51/2" floating model, silver/black back or the silver/brown back. They troll great and cast well, by the way I've mentioned this before on another site, Herring are in the river(s) much earlier than most people would believe often weeks ahead of the "main" run. It can be worth some early investigation if your interested.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

#7 ·
My favorite for herring are the sabiki rigs. Deleware river is where I believe the limit is 3 hooks (trebel hooks count as 3 hooks )the rest of NJ is 9 hooks ( three trebels ).And remember you need a fresh water license to fish the rivers. The runs on the Atlantic side rivers has been spoty the last few years (IMO)I don't know how the runs on the Delaware Bay side compare with past years.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Mullica Bob:
They troll great and cast well, by the way I've mentioned this before on another site, Herring are in the river(s) much earlier than most people would believe often weeks ahead of the "main" run. It can be worth some early investigation if your interested.

You said Mullica. I believe those Herring are in the river well before the main run. I also believe with these warm water temps as soon as March 1 rolls Bass will be caught

#9 ·
They are in well before, like you guys said. I've heard from some old timers that early March will see small runs. I use a dip net. Make sure you check the regulations on dip net size. A long handle with a chicken wire basket attached will do it. You'll feel them bump the net when they swim in, then lift quickly. usually have more than one, since they travel so tight together.
If you've never done it I would suggest observing for a short time. I have a blast doing it. As fun as fishing for anything else.
Do some exploring, there's MANY places that herring run off the Egg harbor river that don't get the pressure that the train bridge does.

#10 ·
Have seen em in early march. Not worth it for me though. One real neet way to catch em is decoy! Get a female and hook her on a line. Just send her out, and the males follow her right back. Stick a net out, and reel her right back into it. First time I saw this, couldn't believe it.

[ 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: on the hook ]

#14 ·
on the hook: How do you tell the difference between a male and female? Are the females heavy with roe?

[ 02-13-2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: THe Dude ]

#15 ·
Just like other fish, "usually" larger ones. Get a 10-12 inch, probably female. IMO If there are fish there, you will know if it is a female :D :D

#19 ·
Originally posted by Mullica Bob:
I've seen a few guys catch a female and put it on a "leash", so to speak, right inside there dip net to attract males. Some say it works others say not sure, I don't do it myself so I won't speculate.

I've seen that method used and its very effective. I just don't think its ethical..poor dumb bastards chasing a female to their death.....it just ain't right.

#21 ·
Reelman73088, all of the Herring I catch for fishing in the spring are from shore, in my waders to be specific. The areas I catch them in are shallow and sometimes I don't even need to get in the water when the fish are along the banks. Sabiki rigs will work from a boat just fine and also work well from a bridge or shore. I prefer the dip net to catch them. Hey candyman, if you gotta go why not go chasing a chick, I could think of a lot worse ways to go. ;)

[ 02-17-2006, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Mullica Bob ]

#23 ·
Do you keep them fresh or frozen? I would think that if you can, you would use them as fresh live bait. But it seems if they are caught during runs then you would freeze them for later use. Also, since they run from salt to fresh water is there any chance of catching them in the back bays in the Wildwood area? Finally Dip Nets .... Are they just a net with certain size mesh that you put in the water and catch the bait? Where do you find the regs as to legal use. Thanks for all info to the newbie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.