BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it illegal to catch herring using a cast net and how would they last in a live well over night

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You can use a cast net and i think the size is no bigger than 4 foot diameter. I would not suggest leaving them in a live well over night. Herring (especially the first run alewives) are not very hearty to begin with. I fill my bait tank with salt water( even though I am pulling them out of freshwater), catch my 35 and then tranfer them that day to my holding pen. When herring are put into captivity they "purge & piss" so you dont want them sitting in that water to long.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Yep.. 4' diam net is max in NJ....

And SF is right about keeping first run alive... just bag them for the freezer and wait a couple weeks to fill up your pen.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Using a cast net is a lot more fun than a dip net in my opinion and I have a great supply of 4' nets in stock.. For the ultimate HERRING net I have the 1/2" mesh heavy net that will throw easily and sink fast. I've caught a limit in one throw. I also have the best price you will find anywhere on the basic 3/8" nets.

I also have all the live wells, areators, bait cages and the like that you might need .

If you can't catch them or don't want to spend the time I also have live and fresh HERRING for sale. Hopefully they will be available thru May. Fresh HERRING will be done when I have to pull the nets at the end of April.

As far as keeping them overnight the more room you give them the better chance you have. If you have treated salt water and plenty of areation you might be able to keep two dozen in a 50 gallon live well water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts