BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i hit middletown yesterday an there were two seals there working the water an they looked like they were eating herring to far to cast so i just watched in disappointment :(

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
good to hear the herring are coming in.. too bad the seals are working on them... Any day now they should be heading in the back bays ... Got my sabiki rigs all ready to go .... Thanks for the Heads up..

[ 03-02-2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: canyon caster ]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Andy, (Canyon Caster) your e-mail isn't working I sent you a message :confused:

[ 03-02-2004, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
He was probally back in the Navasink. There has to be a ton of herring back there this year. I've never seen so many seals in the river. Normally I would see 3 or 4 thoughout the winter, but this year I've seen almost 30. One had to weigh at least 250#! Biggest I usually see are around 25# to 75#. But they are definately feeding on herring. I watched from the oceanic the other day a pod of herring jumping like crazy. It was a Harbor Seal BLITZ!

Anyway there's a local group that looks after the seals and documents there #'s evey year. According to them the seals only hang around where there's food. I called m buddy in brick and he said the Manasqaun has been quite. No ones been getting any herring.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I spent a few hours on last sunday (2/22) at Shark River inlet and an hour or so this past sunday at Manasquan inlet. No herring for me or anyone else while I was there. But it sure felt good to be wetting a line.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Did you all see the seal on the news that was trying to take a nap on a dock in Philly? He didn't look like he had missed a meal (little fat one), bet he followed some herring or shad up the river. Next thing he knows they drag him back out to the ocean where there are slim pickins..crack me up. He probably had a nice school of shad or herring to snack on whenever he got a little hungry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.