BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been looking at various 9.9 outboards and cant seem to settle on anything. but i have a question for you guys whats the difference between the high thrust and regular thrust outboards. and will it actually make a big difference in performance. i have a 16'4"x80" tiller steer Deep V Sylvan. not sure if that will help you answer my question.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
merf said:
so i have been looking at various 9.9 outboards and cant seem to settle on anything. but i have a question for you guys whats the difference between the high thrust and regular thrust outboards. and will it actually make a big difference in performance. i have a 16'4"x80" tiller steer Deep V Sylvan. not sure if that will help you answer my question.
The high thrust models were built to push sailboats. Big prop, big loads at low speeds. Check the shaft length. Most of those were 25" shaft if I remember correctly. It will move you around but not very fast.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
merf said:
On that boat you are probably better off sticking with a regular gearcase. Like HW mentions the high thrust models are better suited for non planing loads. With a light load a 10hp engine should plane that boat if things are balanced right in the boat. You would/could loose that abilty going with a high thrust model. Unless you need to stay under 10hp I'd recommend a 25-30hp for that boat if you want to fish with a buddy and get anywhere at a decent speed.

25-30hp engines made by all manuf's are almost bulletproof. Their all tough as nails as long as you feed them gas/oil and water.. What I'm saying is don't hestitate to buy a clean used engine in the 25-30hp range versus a new 9.9HP at the same price. Have the water pump and thermostat changed and then just try to run it to death..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts