BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Battered and fried or simply raw--seafood is a popular dish, no matter how you serve it. Americans consume more than 5-billion pounds yearly, an order that takes more than a fishing rod to fill and worries conservationists. We follow the fish, the fishermen, and the science trying to preserve fisheries for future generations--from ancient ships on the Nile to a modern technologically sophisticated factory trawler on the Bering Sea to the University of New Hampshire's open-ocean aquaculture research project. And we witness a wide variety of fishing methods--from gillnetting and longlining to lobster trapping. Hop aboard and sail through time and around the globe as we explore the harsh conditions of life at sea and experience firsthand one of history's deadliest jobs. Brace yourself and feel the ice-cold, salt spray on your face as we explore commercial fishing!" Source: www.historychannel.com

This feature airs on the History Channel on Wednesday, December 22 @ 10pm ET/PT.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the offshore aquaculture was awsome, huge fish tanks 10 miles out..cod was the species they are trying the experiment with(other species also). they have tested it with fluke also but on a smaller scale. i think they are using 20000 cod and their goal is 100,000-200,000.
Middle Twp middle school has a neat little aquaculture program. some hybred stiper, large mouth, koy, catfish, and talapia.
Cumberland comm. has a muti-million dollar program.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Saw it last night....was actually a little scary that the commercial fishing industry is so very efficient. They have more technology than NASA and can wipe out a 500 ton school of fish and make them into fish sticks before the ship even comes into dock.
They focused a little bit on by catch and how that's the aspect that really worries the biologists. It's easy to see how they can decimate a populous fish species in only a few years if unregulated. There really is nowhere for the fish to hide today.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
What they didn't explain is the trip limits that we have. Leading the public to believe that we can just wipe fish off the map. In theory we could, Realistically we don't.
Example this year to eliminate " By Catch " we are aloud two of 150 boxes or one trip of 300 boxes. We are also aloud to transfer at sea. This might not seem like a big deal to the recreational sector. But it is. To those of you that watched the show I'm glad that you had an opportunity to see how we work. I just wish they would have explained it a little clearer.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I applaud the effort to conserve and look for ways to improved but the fact still remains they have the abilty in one pull to wipe out a generation especially when water is cold and fish are bunched up
gill netters and commercial hook and line I have no problem but big boats pulling large nets BIG PROBLEM
do appreciate their willingness to reduce by-catch
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
BTW : I spend my winter's on the back deck of a offshore dragger. Yes we can wipe large bodies of fish out. But that would make no sense.
If we make a 600 box set we still are only allowed to have 300 So why would we kill all of those fish. Thats literally tons of added work. The bigger thing to remember is that we have a much larger stake in this then is mentioned. Very simply put without fish there is no FISHPICKER. Heck I want to keep catchin for a long long time. Remember this is our lively hood.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
In my post above I'm referring to scup. We have different trip limits for each fish. We are also limited to how many trips we can make a week. for most of the fish that we target in the winter. With the exception of Macks and squid Those two have a total weight quota when that is caught it get shut down. That is a coast wide quota.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts