BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit the wissy on 4/10

I'm taking a half and hitting the creek around noon, i'll be between the bridge and beach in flourtown. Black TL, no BB stickers on this one, my last car was stolen... :mad: If anyone is out, come say to the tall guy with the green shirt & vest...

I'm planning on trying some new things today, instead of the usual spinners I use. I'm gonna give the trout magnets another go, this time with a float. Also i'd like to give some of my small 2" minnow/shad lures a shot while i'm at it, i've never caught a trout on a lure like that. Do I let it dive down a bit and try to keep it swimming a foot or so below the surface?

Another question, does the plastic lip indicate the rate of fall, or how the lure responds in the water?

any advice is welcome! :D

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I think the size of the lip is just relative to the lure size for it's action. I purchased a couple floating rapala lures (F-3). that worked well for me. I believe they are an inch long though. 2 inches might be a little too big, but give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was pretty much skunked... I only caught sunnies and that was off the mealworms that someone left behind.

I tried the trout magnets, with and without a float, numerous different colors too. The fish wanted nothing to do with anything I threw or floated by them.

I tried a few different spinners, but could not find my trusty black panther martin. Oh and on a side note, eagle claw spinners absolutely suck.

I tried some jig heads, small tubes, a spoon, trout worms; nothing was working. I could see them, but man were they jumpy.. My slightest move, on the banks, would cause the school of 'em to scatter. The sun was so bright and I swear they could see me and I really think I heard them laughing at one point.

The only thing I did not feel like walking back to the car to get from my box was powerbait, and I see it worked for phillyfishing when he wasn't catching anything. I've always felt like powerbait is the easy way out, but then again I was catching fish and didn't need any stinkin' powerbait....

I had my magnet's and worms floating right by them, they were not even remotely interested... Does the sun really matter that much, time of day? They could see my every move. I never get skunked for trout like I have this season. :(

ps thanks joeD...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I was using the rapala lures the other day that I was catching them on opening day with and not even a bite. I could see them everywhere. Of course the guy standing across from me with power bait was bailing them.

I'm guessing that after a while, the trout that have been thrown lures over and over get wise to them are only interested in real bait. The people that I spoke with that are catching with lures are the ones that go off the beaten path and find new untouched fishing grounds. I've only really had repeat success with lures in lakes, never streams.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll be hitting the wissy bright and early tomorrow morning, I'll report back and let you know if my luck was any better. I usually fish the philly section, from Chestnut Hill College to down past the covered bridge. I'd imagine at this point they are pretty used to seeing spinners but that is what I am mainly gonna be using along with the occasional wax worm.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love to have been there this morning... A nice storm must have shaked things up a bit.... The wissahickon is the only place i've ever trout fished, I don't know of other areas by me other than deep creek lake, but i'd rather get out on the reservior in one of their top-notch boats, loaded with features, anchors optional though. :D

I'm going out tomorrow morning so I will also report back..

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only managed to land one yesterday, but a lot of hits.. The one I did was a nice size, 12". It was on powerbait though, which I was not to thrilled about having to resort to!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went out bright and early on saturday only to find the wissy running extremely high and muddy. Fished for about 30 minutes then said screw it, I had errands to run so I decided I'd get all of that stuff out of the way and coome back later. I came back early evening and the water had lowered a bit but was still muddy. I fished for about 2 hours only catching a sm bass. Yesterday morning I woke up and checked the USGS site (which I should have done saturday morning) and saw that the conditions were better, especially upstream, so I headed up to the Fort Washington section. Had my line in the water by 8am and fished till 12pm. I caught 3 browns, 2 bows and a ton of small creek chub. The chub were annoying, especially at the rt73 bridge. I caught 2 trout on spinners, 1 on wax worms and the other 2 on powerbait. I'm thinking about heading out there again, after work today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts