BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to kayaking and would like to get into it pretty heavy this year. i had a small sit-in that i wasn't impresed with , that i was using. now i was checking out the hobie website and came across the mirage pro angler and realll liked the features and averything that was offered with it. have any of you guys or gals ever used or own this particular craft. I'm wanting to use it out on the Delaware river and possibly in the back bays for fishing. would this kayak be a good fit for these waters or should i go with something of a larger scale. ( I just sold my 16 foot deep v so i could persue the kayaking side of fishing this year. ) so help me out here guys. I need some sound advice so i won't regret my purchase. I'll take what i can get since i am pretty much a virgin to kayaking...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
It would be hard to go with something larger as the Pro Angler is a big yak. I have sold them to guys almost 400 pounds and they float them high and dry. It is my favorite kayak to use personaly and Im around 200 pounds. It can be a ***** to get from the truck to the water and it is to big to load on the roof without help. If you have a pickup truck bed for transport and you can back down close to the water to launch you will think it is the best kayak on the planet. If you need to rooftop transport or its a long haul from the vehicle to the water then consider the Outback.
You can come down to my shop in March or April and try both models out for free.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that i should have added that I am about 6'1" and 250 lbs. I have a 12 foot v hull aluminium that I car top with no problem it goes about 130 lbs. so the weight of the PA shouldn't be much of an issue. So god willing I will be there in March to give them a try.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey merf , i own a pro angler , i live in philly,, im a little bigger than you,, and yes the pro angler is AWSOME,, mine is here in philly ,,i have no problems loading or unloading it with the right carrier for your vehicle:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Merf, it's a good step down from your 16'er. But in NO WAY is it a kayak, or preforms like a kayak it's more of a Jon boat. Launching will be no problem as long as you lauch the way you did with your 16'. You won't be launching down embankments or off road. The boat is a pig, your not going to put it on your roof, because the Thule and Yakima system are not rated for that weight. You better check the rating of your factory bars if that is your intent
The racks will brake, I've seen it happen.
A P/U or trailer is the only way to go.
Try it before you purchase, also try transporting, nothing sucks more than hurting your back while loading.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i haul my pro angler on the roof of a jeep cherokee or my ford expadition,, i use the thule roller system #884,, as far as launching ,,, i dont fish streams,, so no embankments me,,,mostly ocean and back bays,, and to all the nay sayers,, you can launch and transport this yak by yourself. this yak a lot of people bash it , i dont know why,, jelousy, fear ,$$$, whatever, but to each his/her own. thats why they make ford , chevy , dodge , toyota, etc, just my opinion

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i think it looks like an awesome boat...id own one if i could swing the $$ and didnt drive a lifted jeep to load it on. (think roof over 6' high). however, this is NOT a boat to surf launch with. so if any front side fishing is planned...i think id go for the revo or outback

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more and more I am looking at it, the harder it is going to be for me to talk myself out of it and into something cheaper. Whatever it is whether you want to call it a kayak or a paddle driven jon boat, it is seeming to be one hell of a mean fishing platform. I can't wait to get my hands on one to get it in the water.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ve owned a hobie revo for 2 years. I love it! Its a great all puropse yak I mainly use it in the back bay off LBI & once and while I go out front. this year im going to give the Big D a try for spring stripers.I will be launching from the Frankford arsenal ramp sometime in March if you are in the area your more than welcome to check it out & give it a try:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to Thank all you guys for your input and advice. However I have decided to put the kayak on hold for this year and stick with the small boats that i have so that my daughter can still go with me. We went and looked at the outbacks and came across a guy with a Pro Angler in the back of his truck and was checking it out. Well when I told my little one that I wanted to get it she looked up at me and said "Daddy where's my seat ? " and had a big frown on her face. So I'm going to stick with the canoes and little aluminiums till she gets old enough to peddle her own Yak. This way we both get to keep enjoying the water and she won't get discouraged away from the sport of fishing. which by the way she has been bugging me relentlessly to go soon..So again guys Thanks

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I wanted to Thank all you guys for your input and advice. However I have decided to put the kayak on hold for this year and stick with the small boats that i have so that my daughter can still go with me. We went and looked at the outbacks and came across a guy with a Pro Angler in the back of his truck and was checking it out. Well when I told my little one that I wanted to get it she looked up at me and said "Daddy where's my seat ? " and had a big frown on her face. So I'm going to stick with the canoes and little aluminiums till she gets old enough to peddle her own Yak. This way we both get to keep enjoying the water and she won't get discouraged away from the sport of fishing. which by the way she has been bugging me relentlessly to go soon..So again guys Thanks
I have never used the area behind the seat on the PA myself. This is where a couple of my customers have placed a small beach chair for their kids and they love it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
het merf ,, i take my twins out with me ,, one in a beach chair behind me ,,the other has a beach chair on the bow hatch ,, and yes they are 8 yrs old :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I. Well when I told my little one that I wanted to get it she looked up at me and said "Daddy where's my seat ? " and had a big frown on her face. So I'm going to stick with the canoes and little aluminiums till she gets old enough to peddle her own Yak.
Or if you're looking to get into kayaking on a regular basis with your kids you might want to consider a tandem. Little heavier, you may need a dolly to transport over large distances. I just take mine and balance it over my head though.

In any event, you definitely should take barrell up on his offer. He's one of the most generous and knowledgable kayak vendors out there. He might even offer to take ya fishin to try one out at night. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I wanted to Thank all you guys for your input and advice. However I have decided to put the kayak on hold for this year and stick with the small boats that i have so that my daughter can still go with me.
Check out the Outfitter- it's a two seat version of the outback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.