BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I looked at the Propell but decided on the mirage drive. Main reason being is the mirage drive can operate in much shallower water. The Propell needs to be removed to navigate shallow water.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I guess you need to be sort of careful with the mirage drive. How long does it last until you need to buy a new one. I heard you don't want to get sand or seaweed in them. Are they ok as long as you take proper care of them? :huh:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've never heard of any having to be replaced from wear. I've had to tighten the cables and I keep it lubed. Hit it with wd40 after being in the salt.
Bent a flipper but that was easy to straighten out.

IMO you would really have to abuse the mirage drive to bust it beyond any minor repair.

Barrell can give more info

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i have beat my mirage drive up more then i care to admit, still going strong. we will see this spring when i take it out again how it handled the winter, haha.

from accidental beach landings, fins down...to loading it up with weed/lilly pads etc, to an albie taking a chunk out of one with the braided line.....hasn't failed me yet :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Thanks,

I guess you need to be sort of careful with the mirage drive. How long does it last until you need to buy a new one. I heard you don't want to get sand or seaweed in them. Are they ok as long as you take proper care of them? :huh:
You have been misinformed by someone. The drives are very tough and come with a two year warranty. Parts are readily avaliable and easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I bought my Hobie Mirage new from Barrel in July 2005. No problems with the drive or rudder since new. Transport is in the bed of a pickup. Hobie quality is hard to beat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 09 Revo only think I ever broke was a rudder pin, drifting backwards and hit a shallow sand bar hard.

Mirage drive with turbo fin the only problem was a link pin in one of the chains slid out and I had to do a repair at sea.

Bobcat

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The common things that break on the mirage drive are for the most part preventable. But sand and seaweed aren't an issue at all. You get sand in it, you just keep pedalling and the sand clears the drive. Just makes some noise for a few seconds. Weeds can slow you down but they won't hurt it. The biggest thing you need to worry about is running into stuff at speed.......but you'll just bend a mast and you can just bend it back by hand.

I'll say though, I haven't seen ONE propel on the water, that should tell you something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts