BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking for Macks go get them now. I filled my Igloo 60 something cooler today by myself before 2:00 with all good sized Macks - almost no small ones and many big ones on the GE out of Belmar piloted by the Captain I follow for Macks Captain Jimmy. He leaves at 7:00am if you are thinking about going.

It was windy and choppy in the morning with a 1 1/2 knot drift but slowed gradually as the day progressed. Later in the day a couple of the drifts were over an hour long. I was fishing 8 hooks and my stringers were coming up full. Just does not get any better for Macks.

They have been hitting them good the last three days. They should stay a little while longer. Crazy weather for February. 45 degrees. I was actually shedding layers.

52 and sunny tomorrow - Go get them!!!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
My guess is that odd man out is a herring....scales are coming off and forked tail....

Man oh man those would make some nice swordie baits....:)

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
540 Posts
My brother was out fishing on the Miss Belmar princess on this past Tuesday and had a similar experience.
I was going to fillet and salt some for summer, but it was easier to freeze them whole.
My brother was laughing when he told me a story of a Korean guy fishing with an electric real filling up a cooler fast.
I did notice that my brothers fish were about the same as yours
Good Job on the Mack's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is definitely a herring in the bottom corner of the cooler.
although my brother did say some small whiting were caught

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where are they in the mud hole how far off I want them:confused:
About 15 Miles just a little North of due East. 120-140 feet of water. We were walking up a ridge on the MudHole.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is that a whitting i see mixted in??
Not a Whiting - it was Herring. There were a few Herring in my cooler but not too many. Almost 100% Mackeral.

There were one or two Stripers caught but not brought onto the boat.

The Dogs were not bad either. I did not catch one all day mainly because I stay off the bottom. Others had a few but not many.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Ok I caught some today 5 lol I did get some herring also but someone told me you can't keep them. I drove out past barn ridge looked around seen pod of dolphin that came right to my boat I never had dophin come to the boat like that except far offshore anyway it was flat calm fish that I did get were 70ft of water around 6 miles off

·
Registered
984 Posts
Going Monday out of Belmar, PB/Headboat
50 bucks and all you want Macks :huh:
No Brainer
Smoking for eating and salting for bait
Have old timer's all up my arse to take them
said they haven't heard of Macks like this in 20 years?
If you have a spot for mackerel I wouldn't wait.
3 good weather days in Feb :eek:????
Bet the foreign comm boats aren't far away and it wont last long.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
If anyone is looking for Macks go get them now. I filled my Igloo 60 something cooler today by myself before 2:00 with all good sized Macks - almost no small ones and many big ones on the GE out of Belmar piloted by the Captain I follow for Macks Captain Jimmy. He leaves at 7:00am if you are thinking about going.

It was windy and choppy in the morning with a 1 1/2 knot drift but slowed gradually as the day progressed. Later in the day a couple of the drifts were over an hour long. I was fishing 8 hooks and my stringers were coming up full. Just does not get any better for Macks.

They have been hitting them good the last three days. They should stay a little while longer. Crazy weather for February. 45 degrees. I was actually shedding layers.

52 and sunny tomorrow - Go get them!!!
So what did you do after 2PM?:D

How many fares?

Cool beans Mr. T.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what did you do after 2PM?:D

How many fares?

Cool beans Mr. T.
Talk to the Captain and stair at the water. Plenty of time to relax...

It was not that crowded, maybe 30+ fairs - I played my game of fishing under the boat with a little extra weight while most were on the other side.

I did not have one dog or tangle all day. Perfect.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are still getting the Macks if you wanted to go out. Had a killer day yesterday.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thinking of going on a party boat for macs tomorrow, anyone else going? If so what Boat is best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts