BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What style and size hooks do you use to rig blood worms? Also, I have 15# Mono on my baitcaster, is that okay for stipers and would you always recommend using a flurocarbon leader?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like to use a size 4/0 J-style baitholder hook for anytype of worms. the little barbs help to keep those buggers on longer.

I use 15 pound mono when I fish the bays and rivers for stripers. I use a little heavier from the surf.

I always use flurocarbon leaders when fishing for stripers, no matter from boat, bank, surf etc.

Hope this helps.

[ 03-24-2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: jaws13 ]

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
all depends on who,what,where, etc...for stripers, I'm a telephone pole kinda guy, everything I have has 30lb on it, 5/0 octopus work nicely for bloods, (red color for me)

fluro, not required, but doesn't hurt, 30-50lb leader for me when chunking the bay or blood fishing the rivers. I change the leader poundage depending on who,what,where....

I'm not loosing the big girl when she comes by.
And they do come by

But this is me.....you put the right bait at the right time at the right place, with the right rig, you'll catch em.

[ 03-24-2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: design ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you are fishing in an area where there are not a lot of potential "snags" for a striper to wrap you up, I would not have a problem with 15 pound test mono. At this time of year, when lots of smaller fish are around, I like to use circle hooks. In my experience the circles seem to result in less gut-hooked fish. Size of the circles is a personnal preference thing, but I generally use a size or two larger than the normal J-hook.

·
Registered
32,805 Posts
Must have caught a hundred or more stripers in the Chesapeake on bloodworms. Used whatever size hooks I had in my tacklebox at the time. We used circle hooks for chumming with bunker. Where I fished, the stripers could be anywhere from 12" to 3 feet and there were also weakfish, croakers, white perch, spot, puppy drum, blues, etc. It was always a mixed bag so I wasn't extremely worried about hook style and size. Most times I chose whatever the general store had that looked good. Then again - these aren't the best choices...but they're adequate. Caught plenty of stripers on top and bottom rigs. If you have what they want to eat in front of them, the rest is just details :D ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.