BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing many years and have had porpoise in and around my baits. To date, none of the Porpoise have taken the bait containing the hook. I have seen them take non-hooked bait. I was just wondering what your experiences are regarding hooking Porpoise?

Also, any ideas why we don't hook that many Porpoise.

Just curious, Keith

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
ON A CHARTER OUT OF MIAMI IN THE LATE 70'S WE HAD TWO GRAB BALLY'S AND RUN BUT THE MATE PULLED BOTH AWAY FROM THEM,THEY WERN'T HOOKED AND THE MATE AND CAPTAIN KNEW IT WAS THEM? FIND IT STRANGE THAT WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING AROUND THE BOAT WHEN YOUR CHUNKING THEY DON'T SEEM TO EAT WHAT YOU THROW TO THEM.

·
Registered
673 Posts
good question, ive always wondered the same thing. When live linning bunker around dolphins I always worry about hooking into one, but it never happens and never heard of it happen.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
They are very smart, aren`t they! :cool:

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Originally posted by dogmanketo:

Also, any ideas why we don't hook that many Porpoise.
Well,let's see... they get to fish whenever they want, don't pay taxes, fees for slips or gas or ramps, have sex whenever they want to and always have a beachfront home....

I just gonna hang it out there that they are .... smarter than us? :D :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
They have incredible eyesight. That's the key. I saw a Discovery Channel special on them a few years ago so don't think I'm some kinda marine biologist. They are also smart enough to recognize a bait that doesn't float naturally (like one with a hook & line attached).

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Originally posted by bass ackwards:
good question, ive always wondered the same thing. When live linning bunker around dolphins I always worry about hooking into one, but it never happens and never heard of it happen.
There is a theory that flipper and company don't eat bunker. I think that there is a lot of merit to it. Bunker are far to rich in oils causing flipper to get very sick.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Off LBI last summer I was drifting with a bunker school and had one snagged on a treble hook. It was about 20ft of water I saw some bubbles and suddenly my line peeled off at an amazing rate. Before I knew what I was doing I put my hand on the spool and the line snapped immediately. I didn't see what took the bunker but I have a suspicion. There were plenty of dolphin in the area but I didn't notice any real close at the time.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have never seen one hooked....my guess is that it has to do with their incredible echo location abilities...they sense the metal in the hooks and since no fish that has its origin in Nature has metal in them, they leave the bait or hooked fish alone......

·
Registered
614 Posts
They use sonar and bounce sound off their prey, and can tell if something is not natural. You won't fool em with artificial, and they can probably detect a hook in a chunk, but maybe a rigged hoo with the hook hidden might fool em.You can here em under water, long before you can see em. Echo sound is pretty neat stuff!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We had one hooked at the Trunk a couple of years ago. We fought it for about 10 minutes before it surfaced and we realized what it was. It looked like it was foul hooked. We then tightened down on the drag and the hook pulled. It was like a frieght train.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Originally posted by med:
I have never seen one hooked....my guess is that it has to do with their incredible echo location abilities...they sense the metal in the hooks and since no fish that has its origin in Nature has metal in them, they leave the bait or hooked fish alone......
I second the echolocation theory. I once saw a wild dolphin in Florida do an amazing trick. A guy down there used to throw scraps of food to them, and he trained them to retrieve coins from the bottom of the bay, about 15 feet of murky water. He would throw a penny and a dime into the drink, and hold up a penny. Down Flipper would go, and come back up with the penny in its maw. He'd hold up the dime, and up came the dime.

So if a dolphin's echolocation is accurate enough to tell the difference between a dime and a penny in murky water, I think they have no problem sensing a hook...

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I have heard if them being hooked(snaged), also have heard that if you are using live bait in some places the will tear the bait off just behing the hook, specially if it's a large bait, I've heard one will grab it right behind the hook and the other will tear it off and you might not even know it.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
It's always a foul hook

I fish with two local New Smyrna Beach guys who have fished these back and offshore waters their whole life non-stop.

They are always present when fishing, highlights for me have been one time when one grabbed a hooked king, let us boat it and then we fed it to him. At night in the back they will catch trout on the fly

How's this for getting close

This guy was just about taking fish out of or hand with his head on the side of the boat in Boca Grande

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We have trolled many times through schools of dolphins, targeting the tuna that were swimming beneath them. Some schools of dolphins numbering in the thousands. One time a green machine we were trolling slid over the back of a dolphin and foul hooked it in the dorsal fin. At first we thought we had a tuna, but when the dolphin surfaced we realized what we had on.We got the dolphin which weighed around 80 pounds to the boat, and cut the leader as close as possible. I have never heard or seen one take a lure or a bait. Dolphins are well aware of our fishing presence when we are out there trolling or chunking. A combination of their intelligence, intuition, eyesight, and bait recognition skills inhibit them from bothering with any of our baits.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dogman,
Good question! I always try to move when they get close when we are fishing. We don't need the competition! On another note....your email leads me to believe you may be from Delhi...is that true? Get'em Wet! Pig

1 - 20 of 40 Posts