BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 4 Strech 25's and the hooks look a little thin, does any one ever replace these hooks and if so what hook do you use. the hooks on them are the red eagle claw hooks

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
The strech 20's usualy have red hooks all the stretch 25's Ive bouht had silver hooks. unless they have changed em this year.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
all my stretch 25's 30's have silver color hooks, never had a problem with them and they are 4 years old.

I guess you could replace them with a similiar style hook if you feel that they won't stand up to the job.

Catch em up.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have bought many plugs on which i needed to break out the split-ring pliers but not my Stretches.

·
Registered
537 Posts
yes i do i replace them with owner 4x trebels either 1/0 up to 4/0 depending on the size of the stretch they never rust. keep their point. and are extremely sharp.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
If barrell remembers, last year when he was into some nice bass I came down his neck of the woods and had a nice bass straighten out my treble on a Stretch. It won't happen again. If you run braid use a light drag, I think thats what happened to me it was too tight. Otherwise I've never had a problem with the stock trebles.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barrell said:
The strech 20's usualy have red hooks all the stretch 25's Ive bouht had silver hooks. unless they have changed em this year.
the new textured 25's all have red hooks, or at least the ones i have seen and purchased.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had an issue with the split rings pulling out. So I replace them with stronger ones and replace the trebles with single hooks. Much easier to release fish, especially lock jawed bluefish that get all three barbs in them, and all those short stripers in the fall. Still seemed to hook up ok, trick is to keep pressure on the fish as you transition from rod holder to angler.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Dumb Luck said:
Anyone replace the trebels with single hooks? If so, did it cause a problem (other than losing more fish)?
I read somwhere that it was better to replace the back with single and remove the front but they ran like crap after I did that. Maybe I need to try a different size or shape single hook. The one I put on was on the big side.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The hooks wont bend, but they will pull out with enough force.
I had a monster blue twist the rear treble hook right out of the back of a stretch 25.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I was considering changing out one or both of the hooks to singles. Has anyone who has done this thus far noticed any difference in their number of hook ups? Also any difference in how the lures run. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts