BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking a trip in a month or so to one of these lakes. I haven't fished either one so if you guys have any info. Where the fish are, lures, and tactics. We're coming from south jersey so I'm tring to as much info as possible before or trip. Thanks

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
go to webstite kneedeepclub.org and watch video of them jiging stripers in march a couple of days ago.check out photo section also.muskies are hitting now and video of yesterdays catch will be there soon.right now large crappies red hot in shallow section of the lake around woodport and bradys bridge.jig with gotcha and rapala jigs in deep water for stripers.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wow, these are two completely different classes of lake. Mercer is about 1/10th the size of Hopatcong, and it's electric only (technically, it's 12volt only)

The fishing at Mercer can be brutal, unless you know how to fish offshore structure. There's very little vegetation, and almost no shoreline cover at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mercer, there are big fish in there, and I like the tough conditions, but it's only 5 miles from my house...It's just not really the type of place one "travels" to fish, there's alot of lakes between you and Mercer that offer good fishing.

Hopatcong is another story. Never been there myself so I'll let the other guys make their recommendations.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Lake Hopatcong is a nice lake and there are bass, muskie, pickeral and blue gill to be caught. Now is a good time to fish the lake because the weeds haven't had a chance to grow and overrun everything yet. My only advice would be do not eat anything you catch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We used to travel 25 miles to Mercer in it's heyday, which was from 1989 to about 1992, IMO. Fantastic crappie fishing in standing timber, with plenty of bass, but we mostly went for the slab (slob) crappies. Got my personal best white crappie there that went 16.5" and was FAT.
Even though I now live half as far from it, I do not fish it anymore.

I'm surprised there is not structure other than midlake now. I was once told an overabundance of stunted yellow perch led to a decline in fisheries there, in combination with introduced tiger muskies.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ventura said:
I'm surprised there is not structure other than midlake now. I was once told an overabundance of stunted yellow perch led to a decline in fisheries there, in combination with introduced tiger muskies.
Alot of people blame the Musky, I'm not so sure I buy into that as much as the building they've done (golf course on one side, tennis complex on the other)

Lord knows what kind of chemicals they use on that golf course (that now runoff into the lake)

Add that to the Olympic rowing center, which now has teams on the lake pretty much all day, every day. (I'm thinking maybe the silt constantly being churned up prevents vegetation from getting the sunlight it needs)

Right now it's not so bad, you can actually see a few feet down. But once the rowing season gets into high gear it's one of the most consistanly muddy/stained place I can think of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! Looks like we're going to Hopatcong the first week of April. I'll be targeting Musky and bass. I see they are stocking that weekend. I hear the trout fishing is pretty good there? Do you guys have any trolling techniques for Muskies or Trout? What about lures that work best in the lake. Thanks again for all the help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts