BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a small 12 foot aluminium boat that is in great shape aside from one thing. One of the previous owners painted it with what seems to be house paint and then was rolled in a freshly cut lawn with a bit of sand thrown in for good measure. now its not that big of a deal. But I would like to get the boat stripped down to the bare aluminium either to correctly paint it or to just let it be. but i want the current paint job gone. What would be my best bet for going about this. Blasting,Belt sander,orbital sander, disk sander, or just give in and put some old fashioned elbow grease into it. The dilema I am having is that i dont want to harm the metal by sanding through it or making it so thin that it becomes unsafe to use. I would appreciate your input, Thanks

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Is it the inside or outside of the boat?

I'd use a paint stripper and then touch it up with an orbitical sander with a fine paper. The next thing is make sure you get the proper primer and paint for aluminum most paints will peal off over time if not done properly.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
angle grinder with 3m abrasive pad.....it's like a heavy scottch brite pad. Might need a few of the pads to get it all done but it'll make quick work of the paint and won't be too much for the aluminum. For parts you can't get into with the pad, use either sandpaper or paint stripper.

If you want to paint it, get some self-etching primer and be done with it unless you want it a different color.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.