BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hauled the boat to the keys and just cleaner her up, opened a cold one and discovered the hot water heater is not working. I checked and noticed that there are two little 3/4" round objects with two wires one each. I guess they are temp sensors. One of them the plastic covering on the connectors was melted a little. I wiggled them then turned the power back on and immediately say there was a draw on th amp meter of about 10 amps. Ok so I thought I went back and smelled just a hint of something burning. Turned the power off then checked. The same thing that had the slightly melted plastic on the connectors was hot, very hot. I am thinking that either the eliment is gone or that sensor. Any ideas would be appreciated. My thinking if the element is bad, it would either not work or kick the breaker. For that reason I think it is the sensor itself. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I believe they are temp sensors. It's hard not being there, but my guess is that the unit is fried. If those sensors died either the heater would be on all the time or not on at all. The reason they get hot is that your heating element is drawing to much current, either shorted or shorted to ground. You probably fried the sensors now as well. Probably time to replace the unit, sorry to say.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Just reread your post bud. Thought you said the breaker tripped. If the element was fried, it would of I believe. I think your right, the sensor is bad. It would be worth the couple bucks to try replaceing the sensor before trashing the unit. A sensor like that can over time develop a lot of contact resistance thus causing the high current and resulting heat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am heading for Marathon tomorrow. I am sure I will find a shop with parts. I will try replacing the sensor and ellement, perhaps they will have some info on what is going on. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts