BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since, flounder season is approaching, and someone asked about stinger hooks for bucktails, I though I would share another tip I use to increase the profile of lighter bucktails, to avoid the 100 shorts to get to that keeper

When I want to Increase the profile of a bucktail under 1/2 oz but don't want to Increase the size of the trailer, I will wrap a pipe cleaner around the base of the bucktail to give the hairs. More girth without adding extra weight. Great for when the flounder are finicky in. The early season,with colder water and less aggressive fish.

How bout you ? Got any tips you haven't shared, or seen before?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Ok, Ill bite, Like most guys I make surf rod holders out of PVC pipe. After awhile the sharp top end start tearing up the rod grips. Set a red stripe beer bottle down on the floor. Heat up the pipe end with a torch and place it on top of the beer bottle. Hold it a minute untill the plastic hardens again. The wider bottles like redstipe or a wine bottle make the best bell shape.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay here is another tip......Chicken Scissors makes bleeding Bass a breeze,..and keeps your knife sharp for Fileting..Just cut through the small section under the gills.

If you Tog you probably got a pair on the boat...somewhere.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Good thread, reminds me of the old Field and Stream Tap's Tips section. One thing I always have on me is lighter and it works great for cutting line, cleaning old line off of lures and hooks. Works with Mono or Braid equally as well......

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thread, reminds me of the old Field and Stream Tap's Tips section. One thing I always have on me is lighter and it works great for cutting line, cleaning old line off of lures and hooks. Works with Mono or Braid equally as well......
Seem like everytime I get on the boat, I lose my lighter. Hop on the boat and go to release the dock lines " plop " there goes the liighter overboard. Lost two zippos a few seasons ago and countless Bics. A few pairs of sunglasses too.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another good tip if you use mono leader material, you know ith line gets tangled off the spool especially if you are tying leaders in the boat in a hurry.

Aluminun can foam coolers , hold those spools and have a hole in the bottom that you can thread the terminal end thru, this way the line can't spool off the roll, and you can pull of the amount you need. If you need it fishing sticky bottom the cozy also keeps the spool still on the console so it doesn't roll around.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I always have a tube of super glue just in case you have to repair an eye and also have epoxy putty in case you break an eye insert

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
always keep a few xtra beers back at dock on ice...lol. ya take some guys fishin and they consume everything in site .lol. also i have a handheld gps i use as back up. i put big patch of velcro on back and other part where i wanna keep it.lol. (also good on lighters bic n zippo)

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Boat fenders are now on short lines that are attached to 12" of PVC. Super easy to move around as needed... just drop the PVC into the rod holder and flip the fender overboard. Great when docking the boat with only novices aboard, especially if you don't know which side you will be docking on.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
always keep a few xtra beers back at dock on ice...lol. ya take some guys fishin and they consume everything in site .lol. also i have a handheld gps i use as back up. i put big patch of velcro on back and other part where i wanna keep it.lol. (also good on lighters bic n zippo)
We have the not before 12 Pm rule on our boat,...I have one friend who polishes his stash off before the 12pm deadline rule ! His Justification... "The fishing is slow ".

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hook and leader storage

For storing hooks with leaders already tied up…

Take a 1-2 ft section of foam pool noodle, stick the hook in the foam and wrap the leader around, tuck the end of the leader under the wraps.

I wedge the noodle between the pipe on the underside of the hard top and the hard top itself. Safe and out of the way. Easily accessible for a quick hook/leader change out.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a good trick to add action to soft plastics fished on plain hooks.

Tie a split ring to your leader instead of tying direct connect the hook to the split ring then add your Fin S, Hogy, Super Fluke, or Bkd.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Seem like everytime I get on the boat, I lose my lighter. Hop on the boat and go to release the dock lines " plop " there goes the liighter overboard. Lost two zippos a few seasons ago and countless Bics. A few pairs of sunglasses too.
I have a lighter leash that clips to my belt and retracts on a spool so you never have to take it off. They sell them at gas station mini-marts.....I got it for the Kayak becuase it was pain getting it out of my pocket now it is always accessible. For sunglasses you can get the straps with a cork float on it, if you do lose them they still float....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Boat fenders are now on short lines that are attached to 12" of PVC. Super easy to move around as needed... just drop the PVC into the rod holder and flip the fender overboard. Great when docking the boat with only novices aboard, especially if you don't know which side you will be docking on.
I did the same thing and it has been working great easy to stow and deploy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a lighter leash that clips to my belt and retracts on a spool so you never have to take it off. They sell them at gas station mini-marts.....I got it for the Kayak becuase it was pain getting it out of my pocket now it is always accessible. For sunglasses you can get the straps with a cork float on it, if you do lose them they still float....[/QUO::thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I cut up foam pool noodles in 1.5 foot segments and use them to wrap my bucktails and leaders around. It's a lot easier than keeping them in a tackle box.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
For my striper rigs I have 2 one quart ziplock bags. I folded 5 sheets of copier paper in half, and trimmed them as a set to fit snug in each ziplock. 12 coiled, leadered hooks fit great in each one, separated by the paper pages. One labeled 24, and one labeled 48, telling me the leader length. Waterproof, too.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Here is my best tip, my best friend & co-owner of the boat, takes care of all the tackle needs. Me I take care of the beer.:)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Buy floating pliers, floating knife, floating gaff, etc. so when others drop them overboard, you can retrieve them. Now if they could only invent a floating sinker. LOL!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts