BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
short by about 2 feet in my garage for storage of trailer with boat on it from coupler to prop- Thinking about intalling the fold away tongue or folding hinge in the tongue of trailer so that I may keep my boat and trailer out of elements. My choice would be the bolt on version vs the welded version. Has anyone every installed these devices and if so what tolls and mechanical knowledge are needed. The add says easy to install-but who knows. The boat is a 16 ft carolina skiff and boat and trailer combined is definately less than the 3500 lb cap. any help or additional ino will be greatly appreciated-thanks

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It was just an idea. If you don't like it, ignore it. You said you wanted a bolt on device, now you don't like bolts? OK. For the removable part I suggested the same technology that holds the ball carrier to the receiver on your hitch. That has been tested & proven safe in millions of vehicles & who knows how many actual wrecks. All of the parts are readily available. I would trust that over some hinge assembly with very limited real life on the road experience. But that's just me. Plus I am confident in my ability to select the proper tubing & hardware & I know how to reinforce the holes for the pins so they don't wear & elongate. Another advantage of removable is theft proofing. If you are ever forced to leave your trailer in a parking lot you can take the tongue with you. BTW, the tongue is probably bolted to your trailer already. A pin holds your hitch to your truck. If you don't trust bolts & pins & you want to avoid welding, what are you going to do? Good luck with it. I hope you find a suitable solution.
Relax, dude. He was just asking if it would be as strong.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought the Fulton bolt on coupler. It has been on for at least 4 years and I never had a problem.

I could try posting a photo if it would help with your decision.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they alll sound good-I don't wanna disrepect anyone-its my first boat and i am just trying to do the right thing. i'm fine with the galv tube idea- just wondering if the hinge coupler is more of a secure or more legal option-hell, i don't know bu thnaks for the advice j-both ideas will help guys-just wanna prolong my boat life (carolina skiff j 16 cc)-you guys rock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.