BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say I go fishing and catch a fish that is not listed in the nj rules and regulations. The fish isn't mentioned anywhere in the size and limits nor is it listed as a protected species. Is that fish legal to take?
I caught a fairly large stargazer a few years back. I'm pretty sure it isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules. Is it legal?
Or what if I catch a sturgeon? I'm pretty sure they aren't in there either.
What about some exotic carribean fish that travels too far north. Is it legal?

Just wondering!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
NJ rules and regs are the regs. Thats your rule book. Sturgeon is listed as a protected species. If it's not in the book they would have a tough time prosecuting you based on an unwritten rule.

-Matt

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sturgeon is listed in the rules, and so is red drum and cobia believe it or not. You have to do a little research, but you will find that most fish are listed somewhere.

That little plastic card they have in tackle shops only has a fraction of the fish species you can catch up here, the same goes for the yellow pages in the fisherman magazine.

Your best bet is if you don't know the size, throw it back

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
A few fish have passed under the radar like Kingfish, blowfish and many so called junk fish. Doesn't mean we should fill buckets with them. Each year the state passes out plastic cards with fish seasons and limits. They are laminated and it's a good idea to carry one in you car, boat and bag. They won't be out for a while yet. They have to wait for the wheel to stop spinning to see what the flounder limits will be. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.