BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It is the other white meat. We had blackened striper for diner the other night and it was to die for. Just make sure you cut all the red meat.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
very versatile fish. holds up well to different methods of cooking, marinated in soy sauce and grilled with a side of wasabi is an excellent dish, made into fish cakes, battered fried, boil some cubed striper with a dash of sugar in the water, dip in melted butter. the list goes on and one.

Check out the recipe page: http://www.thebassbarn.com/recipe_index.htm

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ummm Ummm good!!! nice white, thick firm meat. You can cook it anyway you want. You can grill it, you can bake it, you can broil it, you fry it, you can...well you get the idea.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
You may find that bleeding them immediately after catching and then icing them down does wonders, that goes for just about any fish really.

Striper is a nice firm meat that holds its own and does not get all stringy flaky.....if you know what I am describing. Someone mentioned Seabass and fluke as better eating, it is a matter of taste really, add to that that striper fillets are much moe substantial than either of those 2 and you will quickly start to choose striper as the fish to eat. It is very hard to beat dolphin though.

Oh also, if you do sushi, you will learn very quickly that Fluke is much fishier than Striper when raw.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Bleed the striper as soon as you catch it!!!!
Cut out any red meat

they are awesome.

Favorite easy recipe is Striper meat broiled in Salsa served over a bed of rice

harder recipe is Partnerships striper recipe that has it breaded. It is on the recipe page

·
Registered
158 Posts
Crush up some pistachio nuts...coat the striper fillets with them and some salt and pepper...fry in peanut oil on each side just until the crust is brown and finish in a 300 degree oven until the fish is completely flakey.
Delicious!!

I also find that smaller bass are much better eating than the big boys. I usually keep slot fish only for the table

Oh and here's another one (this is great with any fish...especially striper). Bread them in finely crushed, regular potato chips instead of flour or bread crumbs and then fry them. It's a heart attack on a plate but it's out of this world.

·
Registered
16,417 Posts
Striper meat is very good! Thick, white, flaky meat no matter the size of the fish, it's all good! Almost tastes like crab meat grilled or broiled w/ the right spices. Make sure you slice their throats ear to ear once boated, let them bleed out and put em right on ice. Cut out the red meat and the lateral line when you fillet and enjoy!

[ 03-17-2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bake fillets in white wine, butter, fresh lemon. Season with pepper to taste, oregano, parsley, basil. Lightly coat with bread crumbs then a layer of slice tomato and a layer of thinly sliced white onion. Un-freakin-believable. I've gotten marriage proposals after making this. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't make it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Striper is better in the raw, but eel is even better if smoked.

For salted and smoked I'd put them in this order as my tastes go:

1. eel (by far the best, either American or conger)
2. Kingfish
3. Tog (tuna would go here for sushi, but not smoked)
4. Striper
5. Salmon
6. Fluke

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.