BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I bought my boat and trailer last year, and put the boat up at a dry stack marina, and just put the trailer in my back yard. Well, this year it looks like finances are not going to allow me to keep the marina so I will be trailering the boat instead. Therefore I'd like to get the trailer in tip top shape, and do the work myself if possible. The trailer is a single axel gavalinized trailer, with no brakes.

What specificaly should I do to the wheels, hubs, bearings, etc. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never worked on a trailer before. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,669 Posts
Besides the bearings make sure the tires are good. Dont need a blow out. Check the lights are in working order. Make sure winch cable doesnt need replacing. Spray wd40 in the tongue

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Besides the bearings make sure the tires are good. Dont need a blow out. Check the lights are in working order. Make sure winch cable doesnt need replacing. Spray wd40 in the tongue
Tires and lights, I"m pretty good with. I've already replaced the lights, and new tires are no big deal.

If I want to replace my bearings what do I need to do, how do I determine my axel size without taking it apart?

Can some one explain bearing buddies, and how they work?

What would be a good cost estimate of parts to do all this work?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
How do I deremine my spindle size?
Well it's either going to 1 1/16" x 1 1/16" if the axle is 2700lbs. A 3500lb axle will have 1 1/16" x 1 3/8" bearings..

http://www.tiedown.com/ahubs.html

See the hub at the top of the page? See the grease zerk at the base? If your spindals don't have a grease zerk in the end of them you need these hubs. The grease zerk in the spindal end or on the hub like that will let you push in new grease while pushing out old grease at the same time.

http://www.tiedown.com/acaps.html

Those hubs come with the Super Lube Dust capes. The idea is to completely fill your hubs with grease so there is no room for water to enter. Those rubber centers will swell out slightly when the hub warm up then contract.

I use only Bomb Trailer Wheel bearing grease. It's cherry red when you put it in. If water gets to it it turns pink. It's easy to check by just poping one edge of the rubber caps.

I have this set up on my trailer and I haven't had to touch the hubs in 4 years. The grease is the same color as new.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys. It looks like this will be the weekend to start working on my boats.

I have the skiff's motor apart, and am waiting to put in the new water pump. It should come in today.

I'll also take apart the trailer for my other boat to see what needs to be ordered and replaced. The boat ramp is only 5 miles from my house, so its not like I'm trailering far distances, but I'd still prefer to have everything in top shape.

·
Registered
257 Posts
trailer maintenance

A few years ago, I broke down on the highway with my boat on the trailer. As careful as I tried to be, the grease thinned out----my own damn fault. when I jacked up the trailer, the whole wheel litteraly FELL off.

Luckily, I had spare bearings and the races were ok, but it was real fun to fix all that stuff on the side of the road.

My main point is that I then bought a complete spare hub assembly and if it ever happens again, I should be back on the road real quick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.