BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The larger fish are all females as with most species of fish. 20lbs sounds about right on, but I dont know for sure. Interesting article about a coastwide survey in last weeks Fisherman. They netted something like 275 fluke over 17" and they were all, 100%, females.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Thank god we arent stripers, right? I had a bad experience in school with a chick almost twice my size and these are the prime mates in the fish world.

BTW, twice my size is a slight exaggeration

RyanF

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There is no practical and exact way of telling the sex of the striped bass from external characteristics since this species does not exhibit sexual dimorphism, except when they are running ripe and as stated above, the larger mature fish are usally the females.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the males never get bigger or do they "morph" into Femles. I know of some other species that do that.
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
if you beach a fish and start shaking, high five your buddy, or call everyone you know on your cell phone who would care it's most likely a female.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
RyanF said:
Thank god we arent stripers, right? I had a bad experience in school with a chick almost twice my size and these are the prime mates in the fish world.
Stepped into the ring with the wrong chick, eh?

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
You can't unless you cut them open. Males only grow to about 34-36 inches though. All the bigger fish are females but there's no way to tell in the smaller fish.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Most of your bigger fish are females....But males do grow big also...I had a 34lb 45 inch male caught and weighed in.....He was probably 36 lbs when I caught him but dropped some weight all over my boat before we made it home.....All fish start out small but the males and females grow at a different rate....maybe this is why the males will stay in their birthing waters for up to seven years and the females leave after 3....... as far as the fluke goes....ive never cleaned a male fluke....they are always females....ive been wondering about that for years and thats why I always look when I clean them...and ive cleaned my fair share.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Hooker said:
Most of your bigger fish are females....But males do grow big also...I had a 34lb 45 inch male caught and weighed in.....He was probably 36 lbs when I caught him but dropped some weight all over my boat before we made it home.....All fish start out small but the males and females grow at a different rate....maybe this is why the males will stay in their birthing waters for up to seven years and the females leave after 3....... as far as the fluke goes....ive never cleaned a male fluke....they are always females....ive been wondering about that for years and thats why I always look when I clean them...and ive cleaned my fair share.....
How can you tell with the flatties that arent over 20"?

RyanF

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1 what maine_sport posted...you can't tell. The statements about size may be true most of the time, it's an anecdotal guess all the time. If you put a striper of any size in front of someone, you can't tell with 100% certainty by looking at it (unless it's spilling milt or roe) if it's male or female.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think, If i read it right,
All Sea Bass are born females, Mother nature decides how many will change to male depending on how many males are already in that particular school. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts