BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Capt. was either not in comand or his attention was elsewhere. This is gona hurt the cruise lines for sure. No excuse for this one Electronics or not he was too close. Also he must not have had a watch posted. No rain fog snow to blame this on. Reports also say he was one the first off the ship. More than 1 or 2 reports of this. Hopefully they find more survivors trapped in airpockets or decks above water but time is running out.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Pilot error ?

The Capt. was either not in comand or his attention was elsewhere. This is gona hurt the cruise lines for sure. No excuse for this one Electronics or not he was too close. Also he must not have had a watch posted. No rain fog snow to blame this on. Reports also say he was one the first off the ship. More than 1 or 2 reports of this. Hopefully they find more survivors trapped in airpockets or decks above water but time is running out.
I am not quite sure about Europe but in American waters the Captain turns over control of the ship to the Harbor pilot.He brings the ships in as they are more familiar with the waters.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a few thoughts about this whole ordeal, and coming from someone who does at least one cruise a year, this is just an awful situation.

1) This ship is not a 100 million dollar vessel, try 450 million Euro's which equates to about $550 million USD. The amount of technology on this ships is like no other, and as previously stated, I think somone fell asleep behind the wheel on this one

2) Why would you go so close to land? Terrible.

3) There are unconfirmed reports that there was mass confusion on the ship. 1) The crew were told by the captain that there were electrical problems and to go back to their cabins (false as they hit a rock), 2) The captain did not signal abandon ship until the evacuation was an hour underway and 3) the captain left well before everyone was off the ship

Again, no one can say for sure what happened. All of the information outlined above is STRICTLY NOT CONFIRMED and was quoted from passanger accounts. We will be sure to figure out what has happened over the next months. Again, rest in peace to those souls who have died.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
True Hammer but they were still in the Ocean so chances are he was still Master and Chief. You talking more about river pilots and Bay pilots here in the USA who knows what the rules are there. I know most cruise ships are forien flagged to escape most of the U.S.C/G regulations also thats why the crews are from different country's a U.S. ship would need to have the primary crew be from the U.S.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Chances are they will get them if they are still alive the ship apears stable at rest and with modern Tec. the job should be easy to do with modern equipment and most of the Navy's train for this. I would expect the C/G to call on those experts if they belive people are still alive in the ship.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
cbs news this morning said that the passengers had no evacuation training prior to the accident. It was scheduled day 2 into the trip:eek::nuts:

The only cruise i was on this training was done before the ship left the dock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.