BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be taking a new job in Newark in a few weeks. I live in Cherry Hill and will be commuting, so my only chances to fish (land-based) during the week after work will have to be up north. I'm wondering how long of a drive it is to the hook from downtown Newark? Also, are there any locations (not spots) for the spring run closer to Newark than the hook? If you'd like, shoot me an email.

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Try the beaches around the Keyport area, great for early season striper action.

Hop on the turnpike south, take that to the parkway and get off at exit 117. Should be about 30 min from Newark without traffic.

· Registered
412 Posts
You don't really have to go all the way to the Raritan for fishing. Jersey City and Bayone have places that you can fish from that will only be 10-15 min from Newark. Harlee rod (Jersey City) or M&M (Bayone) will be able to help you out with some spots.

I keep my boat in Keyport and do a lot of bass trips in the spring after work if you want to jump on with us. Depending on where your going to be working in Newark you should be able to get down here about 30 Min unless your going to be doing it at rush hour.

· Registered
325 Posts
i do a lot of fishing around jc and bayoone and i do quite well but its a bait and wait game now in bayoone u can get to the waters edge and cast but its not like u will get fish back to back but fish are there i will be out there in march hope to see u there:thumbsup:

· Registered
911 Posts
Exchange Place J.C.

Work for P.A. and we have camaras at Exchange Place Station in J.C. During fishing season sometimes we point em to the peir. You would be surprised to see how many Stripers guys down there get. Tough to land because thair so far up off the water. I believe the Hudson River is the 2ed largest breeding ground on the east coast.

· Registered
841 Posts
Work for P.A. and we have camaras at Exchange Place Station in J.C. During fishing season sometimes we point em to the peir. You would be surprised to see how many Stripers guys down there get. Tough to land because thair so far up off the water. I believe the Hudson River is the 2ed largest breeding ground on the east coast.

Bring a gun...

· Registered
827 Posts
Used to live in Manhattan UWS and loved to watch the stripers running up and down that river. Crushed em during runs by GW Bridge and Varrazzano Bridge. Not exactly Newark, but some get areas in the entire lower bay / East River / Hudson River / Hackensack River to find some nice Bass fishing.

Keep it a secret! There are still a bunch of guys that are afraid and think they need guns and body amour if they fish these areas. Don't tell them our secret.

· Registered
827 Posts
Giant fan ----> True like any big City Newark has more then its share of JUNGLES..

Grew up in Esssex County. But I think the initial question was where were some good Striper fishing areas around Newark NJ.

Ok -- places that you are likely to get shot and not find Bass - None in Vailsburg, None Weekwaque Park, None in Branchbrook Park, None in the West District, None in the Ironbound, None in the South district, None at Broad St and Market (downtown), and none at the airport. :thumbsdown:

Trust me --- I tried all those places and never caught one bass. View attachment 24847

Text Font Logo Electric blue Clip art

But like my earlier post said the Varrazzano, Hudson, Hackensack, GW Bridge and East River NYC have some kicking bass fishing close to where he is going to be. Text Font Logo Electric blue Clip art
:bow:

· Registered
412 Posts
I was thinking city was talking about my post. If he was.... thats what the smiliey faces were for. I lived in Jersey City for 10 years and fished all over there. I was being sarcastic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.