BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How was the fishing behind O.C. last season with all the construction? I am thinking of putting in down there this year after an absence for a couple years and wonder if things are better/worse/same? If not I'll be back on Delaware Bay.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
fishing was good last year.. but they are trying to dredge the bay this year ... if they dredge .. i'm not sure what it's gonna do...

·
Registered
725 Posts
How was the fishing behind O.C. last season with all the construction? I am thinking of putting in down there this year after an absence for a couple years and wonder if things are better/worse/same? If not I'll be back on Delaware Bay.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim,
The good thing is that all of the construction will be completed by Memorial Day
according to the Contractor. But to answer your question regarding whether it was better, same, etc. I'd guess and say it was about the same overall and hoping that it will be better this year because they will be done by then.
Not sure how it compares to Del. Bay however because it seems like there is always a lot of action there.
Good luck !!
Greg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear it has not changed much. I thought Delaware Bay was off a bit for Flounder last summer but it was on fire for the fall season. Maybe I will do D-bay for the spring run- O.C. for summer and back to D-bay in the fall. I don't recall to many bad costal storms so I wonder what kind of shape G.E. inlet is in? When I was down there a couple of years ago the buoys were way off.

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to a great 2012 season!:D

Jim

·
Registered
725 Posts
Glad to hear it has not changed much. I thought Delaware Bay was off a bit for Flounder last summer but it was on fire for the fall season. Maybe I will do D-bay for the spring run- O.C. for summer and back to D-bay in the fall. I don't recall to many bad costal storms so I wonder what kind of shape G.E. inlet is in? When I was down there a couple of years ago the buoys were way off.

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to a great 2012 season!:D

Jim
If those options are available to you I would think that is a very good plan.
The GE inlet was much better this past year as far as navigating it was concerned.
The CG moved the markers in the Spring which was a big help.
if you stick within the channel you are "good to go" which was opposite
as you know from the previous couple of years.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
That new bridge construction took away all my foot access spots. Damn You, new bridge.
same for me I loved to fish the sods and bridges in that area but since they started the construction in that area I have not fished it. When is the construction supposed to end? I hope we will have access to the sods and bridges:confused:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
suppose to be done by may. there is some nice piers going up. elbow and rainbow. As for better fishing I would say weakfish wise NO WAY. Bass was off a little but inlet was real good. Once there done and the lights are on it should get real good.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
same for me I loved to fish the sods and bridges in that area but since they started the construction in that area I have not fished it. When is the construction supposed to end? I hope we will have access to the sods and bridges:confused:
Unless you bring an extension ladder most of the sods will not be accessible. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Killed the bass all summer in the back..im curious to see what happens with 9st bridge gone now.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
still a mess back there with construction... and now add to all that the fact that their doing all that dredge spoils dumping by anchorage pt. and that makes for a hostile environment for a striper. i cant believe their even allowed to do the stuff their doing. u would think some environmental group would be all over them. :huh:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim,
The good thing is that all of the construction will be completed by Memorial Day
according to the Contractor. But to answer your question regarding whether it was better, same, etc. I'd guess and say it was about the same overall and hoping that it will be better this year because they will be done by then.
Not sure how it compares to Del. Bay however because it seems like there is always a lot of action there.
Good luck !!
Greg
Hey Greg- Do you know if that is the entire project or just the bridge construction? Last time I saw it looked like still plenty to do. I guess with the mild winter they are ahead of schedule. Looking forward to getting down there again. Now I am jsut keeping my fingers crossed that gas doesn't hit $5 a gallon.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Thanks to everyone for all the info!:thumbsup:
Jim

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
still a mess back there with construction... and now add to all that the fact that their doing all that dredge spoils dumping by anchorage pt. and that makes for a hostile environment for a striper. i cant believe their even allowed to do the stuff their doing. u would think some environmental group would be all over them. :huh:

Better to let the whole bay fill up with mud. :nuts::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey Greg- Do you know if that is the entire project or just the bridge construction? Last time I saw it looked like still plenty to do. I guess with the mild winter they are ahead of schedule. Looking forward to getting down there again. Now I am jsut keeping my fingers crossed that gas doesn't hit $5 a gallon.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Thanks to everyone for all the info!:thumbsup:
Jim
Hey Jim,
The entire project is supposed to be completed by Memorial Day and they
probably will make it because of the good weather and they are really moving.
They were out there working on Sat. in the high winds and all.
I'm with you on the $5 per gal. gas prices. I'll definitely be more selective about my offshore trips !!
Have a good one.
Greg

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It appears we may lose ships channel sod bank but as it looks now I think the rest will be accessable. The northern side of elbow is questionable for access but that wasn't smokeing hot lately.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When the construction first started, I remember talk of them putting a kayak launch at Rainbow. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The Rt. 52 Contractor has only stated that they are on schedule to have 4 lanes open by Memorial Day. There is no way that the entire project will be completed by Memorial Day. You have to complete the visitors center, complete the boat ramp, complete the Somers Point fishing pier (using a portion of the old bridge), etc. I believe the entire project is not slated to be complete until 2013.

However, most of the major construction on the two bridge spans should be completed. The GE Inlet was better last year, but who knows how the winter has impacted the channel :huh:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
"i know of some new awsome tataug structure just made the whole length of bridge"

I'm guessing its going to take a few years for all the mussels and stuff to grow on the new bridge. Under the old 9th st bridge on the OC side of the drawbridge was a killer tog spot; I'm going to miss it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I believe that ramp is at elbow channell. I don't even think a kayak can float where that ramp is. They also put a smaller pier at elbow. Looks like they may be putting a pier at the info side but not sure. There is a few pileings there now. The one in rainbow at west side is being poured now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts