BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you seasoned anglers that fish into the fall. How late do the bass normally stay in the back bays? I know fishing is good for quite awhile in the del bay but need some info on the backwaters. I am usually bow hunting hard from the 3rd week in Oct through the rest of winter and don't have any experience for late fishing. Have had a good consistant year since April and would like to keep it going. Any help would be great. Bill

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
BILL--TALKING TO FRED AND TRYING TO PICK HIS BRAIN THE FISH WILL BE HERE TILL THE WATER GETS BELOW 43 WHICH WAS THE MIDDLE OF DECEMBER THE LAST 2 YEARS. THE 2 YEARS PRIOR TO THAT IT NEVER DROPPED BELOW THAT AND FRED CAUGHT FISH ON DEC 31 AND ON MARCH 1 OPENING DAY.HE SAID HE HAS FISHED SOME BEAUTIFUL DAYS AT 40 OR 41 AND DONE NOTHING.

TO ALL WHO WONDER WHERE FRED IS HE TRIED TO HOOK UP STAINS OLD PUTER IN THE SHOP YESTERDAY AND IT REBELLED SO HE IS WAITING FOR SOMEONE WITH MORE PUTER BRAINS THAN HIM--WHICH MEANS ANYONE WHO CAN CHEW GUM AND WALK AT THE SAME TIME.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I caught two nice bass Dec 31 last year in the back. I'm not certain but I believe water went out at 47 deg.(fish caught on jigs).

·
Registered
19,720 Posts
We were catching bass last year off the inlet jetties on New Year's Day (on the ocean side only, of course ;) ) It is all about how cold the water gets.... on the outgoing, some days, you can catch 50 degree water in January..

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey BIGGEST -

I'm new in the last few weeks on the Barn. Just soaking everything in as this is my first year for Stripers. Please pass along to Fred that I'd be happy to help with anything computer related if he needs it. He can reach me at [email protected]. Not sure where he lives, but I'm in Audubon, NJ (near Cherry Hill). I'll be in Cape May on Sunday going out on an open boat with AdamBomb though if he's in the area. Cya

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
WELCOME TO THE BARN,THERE WAS SOMEONE THERE LAST SUN--MAG-VILLE- WHO COULD HAVE SHOWN THE OLD BUGGER HOW TO TURN THE CRANK.BUT WE DIDN'T THINK OF IT.YOU GOT MAIL

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, one more quick question, are you catching those late fish in the channel of the ICW or up close to the sod banks like I am doing now? Thanks again Bill.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We catch stripers until they close the backwaters (December 31) every year. Once the water temps get into the low 40's you can count on the fish becoming slow and holding in deep holes. Working jigs slowly through the deeper water will work best.
Rumor has it you can't catch stripers on lures once the water temps go below 40, I agree its not very easy but you can still come home with a few fish in the cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts