BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can a weakfish or bass survive out of salt water before oxygen deficiency catches up with them and they asphyxiate? 2 or 3 minutes?

Just wondering how long others take before releasing their catch and some tips on reviving a fish that may have been out of water too long.

Say for instance you catch a nice tiderunner, you...remove the hook (hooks), measure it, weigh it, take a quick snapshot (optional) and carry it back to its preferred environment. How long is too long?

I have witnessed first hand, guys wrenching fish back and forth through the water at an aggressive pace in order to circulate oxygen into the fishes gills. This can't be a good method of revival.

I face the nose of the fish away from the incoming current and gently sway the fish back and forth until it can swim away on its own. Any other tips would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have no idea how long a fish can survive out of water. But I have a question, why face the fish away from current? A fishes gills are designed to have water run over them from the front. If you let water run in the back of the gills, you risk damaging them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Flounder can live for at least 4 hours in a cooler. I brought some home the other night and one was still alive when I went to clean him.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I would have to say that anymore than 5 minutes would be detrimental in the long run. I'm sure that many of the fish that are released die a few hours after the fact but we never know it.

It's important not to play a fish too long, since this causes more harm than keeping them out of the water for a couple of minutes. The main thing is to let them rest while reviving them, when they are ready they'll let you know by biting down on your thumb/hand (stripers).

I have always faced them into the current to revive them, when in calm water, I move them around in a figure eight until they are ready to go.

ALot of fish are still alive when you get them back to the dock but I can guarantee that very few would be able to swim off and/or survive if you released them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:
The main thing is to let them rest while reviving them, when they are ready they'll let you know by biting down on your thumb/hand (stripers).
me too
i'll let them bite on my thumb until they are ready to go... then at the end of the week me and steve compare our striper thumbs

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
:D :D

Tom, you have mail.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Depends on a lot of things, including those mentioned above..

I think a lot depends on where they are out of water, e.g., I had a bass lying on the sod bank for at least 20 minutes on a very cold November day... for some reason I felt bad for it, I put it back in the water, walked it around a little bit, and let it swim away...

I'm sure the cold temperature helped it survive longer... (it may have lost a few brain cells, but oh well ;) )

Then again, I can't keep a bluefish alive for longer than 1 minute even in a bucket..hehehe...they probably burn up their oxygen reserves faster..

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've had stripers stay alive for hours in a cooler full of ice. But as far as releasing the sooner the better. I just got myself a Boga Grip to do a better job at it. And like Sturgeon says, the bluefish don't last but a minute. Sea bass don't last long either.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by jrisapirate:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sturgeon General:
for some reason I felt bad for it, I put it back in the water, walked it around a little bit, and let it swim away...

what are you some kind of sissy? </font>[/QUOTE]LOL I don't know I guess I must be?! When I was a kid I used to practice catch & keep -- kept EVERYTHING.

Now it's just 1 for the table...

Lately it's been bugging me... I caught a tog last week and kept it in the livewell, then brought it home in a bucket of water. It was still alive in the sink! Those tog, I think they have personalities, he kept rolling his eyes at me. I should have just killed it as soon as I got it!! That or not look at it...

That bass..I remember it well, was a beautiful 36"..about 18 lbs.. lying on the bank..gasping. UGH.

Yah, I'm a sissy
(Ever see that credit card commercial when the fish sheds a tear and the guy throws it back in the water ?)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Tog dont even have to be in water . Plus you know they feel pain and can anticipate it , so they thought of removing it at all is horrifying . GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK !!!!!!!
I personally am not there yet at releasing until I get to a certain "legal" point . That being said I know that the big girls need to do there things so , loaded fish go back . But on the whole between time and $ invested I am still a meat man .

1,160 Posts
sharks will live a few hours after being gutted and a shotgun blast in its brain. Unreal fish.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did a big shark run on the West Coast a few years back when I was still in the Navy and we gaffed a Mako that weight close to 500lbs and then put three 12g shells into its head. The damn thing still was alive back at the dock and was still fighting us. Until a old timer walked up and beat it with a bat.

1,160 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Once caught a striper, took it right home and cleaned it, in it's belly, were little bait fish that looked like tiny stripers? They were still alive, and kickin. So I ran them back to the dock, one floated the other took off!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts