BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my boat cushions redone 7 years ago. Cost me $580 for 2 16"x16" seats (bottom only) and one typical swing back cooler/bench with seat and back. Anyway they have spent about 75% of the last 7 years under covers. I clean them when needed (with vinyl cleaner) and put the UV protection lotion on them once yearly. They really do not get much use (full time job & 3 toddlers). The vinyl looks brand new other than a couple of stains. However, I was cleaning them the other night and the stitching is disintegrating, as in when I wipe my thumb over a stitch line the threads just vanish. I can wash away the stitching with a standard garden hose now. :( This does not seem right to me, the stitching should not be falling apart with the vinyl still looking so good. What is the going cost for custom cushions? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is when I find stitching falling apart on things. The stitching always fails before the material if you use quality goods. You can restitich possibly, I have done that to extend the life. Cost/benefit question though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As much as you clean them and care for them there no doubt in my mind the cushion must have been assembled with non uv thread.a very common problem with custom upholstery shops.they forget to change over regular nylon thread from normal use like interior homes .unlike uv thread for salt air and water.however there is possible ways to over clean with harmful chemicals.but when you have disappearing thread its non uv thread.lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Mine are original on my boat and are in great shape except for some fading. For the most part, they are removed and stored under cover when not in use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Boat cushions

Mine are 24 years old this summer and still look pretty darn good (bolsters, seats, leaning post, etc)! Except for weekends and the odd week vacation, I don't leave them on the boat when not in use. Mine were ordered with the boat, and the stiching has stayed strong, so I assume the proper UV thread, etc., was used. Red and white with the red showing some fading, but after all these years, not anythng I can't live...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What UV protection are you using?

Mine were looking good after 10 years, though I was starting to get some very very tiny cracking in the vinyl. From sun I think as they do get a lot of use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, by the way, encase anyone is wondering Williams Upholstery in Langhorne, PA did the work. They looked really nice until they started to fall apart due to rotten thread.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are they still in business? Give them a call maybe the will fix it since it appears to be their mistake. You don't have anything to loose and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.