BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw Keith's picture of a nice bass he caught yesterday on bait. It was on the Striper Thread. It is a sign that spring is here, but I am having a hard time even getting excited. Wind and Cold water, it seems like we will be into April sometime before a striper even thinks of looking at a fly. I can't even get too excited about bait fishing with this weather. How long do we have to wait till someone breaks the ice? Someone please catch one soon and wake us all up.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ray,

I predict that I will get my first striper of the year on the fly, sometime in May. I'll be dunking bloodworms until then.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hang in there Ray. Hope it's before Brian's date. We have some plans for this week-end, if we get decent weather. Ron

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well i just loaded my truck today for a full on spring Fly assault give me a few days and i'll se what i can turn up...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go get them this weekend. We need someone to go out there and make it happen. I think the fish are so cold they have trouble dragging their bodies over to some juciy smelling bait let alone a fly. I Will be looking for those fish reports on Monday. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Got my first two bass last year on April 2 & 3, both in the same spot, on the fly, in the "secret creek". One was 27", the other was maybe 20lb (but broke me off). Shouldn't be long now, especially if we get more warmer weather.... Herring will be running shortly anyway. Ray, if you want fish on the fly, let me know. I'll take you to my spot. Learn your roll casts, though :D .

[ 03-24-2004, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, sounds good. I have been cleaning up the yard today and putting down fertilizer. I don't dare walk to the beach the weather is so nice it would make me sick, knowing the fish still have cold weather lock jaw. A couple of days like this and I will think about dunking some worms or clam. Our water stays pretty cold down here. You have those tidal marshes that warm up much quicker. Email me when you want to hit it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Last year for me April 2nd I caught 12 all 30-36 inches..on spinning tackle and soft plastics...this time around I'll be ready with the fly rod for sure...So Im predict either this weekend or the following week. Hang in there Ray, its not really far away...It'll explode ANY day now. :D

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't help myself, I drove over to the Cape May Point early this afternoon. Pretty good wind out of the south. Saw 5 boats working the rips. Couldn't tell if they were catching. Saw one guy throwing jighead with a worm off the jetty. Guys are trying. The wind picked up to a good blast by late afternoon and it is honking now. Just hanging loose waiting for it to happen.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Ray, I think I'm gonna give it a go Sunday morning. Will probably bring the spinner and some bloods along to deadstick on a float while working the flies.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ShoeB You might just find me there too. Sometimes if you want to get a good fishing report you just have to go out there and catch a few fish yourself. I was inland up near Philly and then went down to Dover Delaware to pick up my bowmounted motor. It was up near 70 and felt like summer. When I got back to the shore it was alot colder with the wind comming off the ocean. It sure felt like a day to fish. Will put motor back on boat tomorrow so I will be all set. Got my father-in-law down with family to celebrate his 91st birthday so I will probably be tied up, so go get them and hope to hear good results, don't fish out the pond the first day.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Checked out my secret creek today around 3PM, a little late. The tide was too low (about an hour into outgoing, but it drops really fast there). Shrimp and minnies were swimming around everywhere, and the water was in the 40's. Didn't see any herring, but they might have gone through there at high. It's only a matter of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts