BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cooler rack allows me to carry six rods. I have two for throwing bait,four others rigged up with assorted plugs,pencils. If i bring anybody with me it is a hassle putting them on and off the roof. thinking about adding another rack or losing some friends and going alone.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
he more rods you carry the more that will be stolen when you are not at your truck.
One rod for bait and one for plugging is all I have on my Jeep at any one time. In the fall, one rod for plugging is fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2 maybe 3 plugging rods in the back of my Tahoe, they are seldom on the front of my truck.
I would never go to the beach with only 1 rod , unless I'm walking. Invariably something breaks:(

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Most times I take 5 spinning rods to the beach:
2ea. 12' 4-10 oz.
2ea. 9' 2-6oz.
1ea 8' 1/2-2oz. one piece pluggin rod

The above are in rod holders on my surf cart which I wheel out to my truck and plug into the rear receiver hitch. My rods and tackle are always ready to go.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
i'm a walk-on and carry 3
2 11' 1 rated 2-6 the other rated 4-8 for bait
and an 8 1/2 1/2-3 for plugs in case of a blitz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chlstn said:
he more rods you carry the more that will be stolen when you are not at your truck.
One rod for bait and one for plugging is all I have on my Jeep at any one time. In the fall, one rod for plugging is fine.
I have had a fear of one being stolen just going into a wawa, I usually have someone in the truck.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Depends on many things.

Never less than 4, as many as 6.
9' Plugging rod
10' Plugging rod
9wt. Flyrod
10wt. Flyrod

Some days add a pencil popping rod, or a meat stick or two.

Russ

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Bring less catch more..........

One rod, one little plug bag and that's it. I keep it as simple as I can. Honestly since I started doing this I catch more. Instead of waiting for the fish to come to me, I will walk the beach and look for them covering more territory. No way around it, the less you have to mess with the more time you can focus in on catching....

...When I fish bait, its one hook, hi/low style but without the low (less skates/sharks this way), less time changing baits. I have fished next to a guy with two rods out, 4 hooks, and we will wand up catching the same, but he is non stop busy checking bait, ect....

...2 each his own, that just my take on it...djc.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
DJ COAST said:
One rod, one little plug bag and that's it. I keep it as simple as I can. Honestly since I started doing this I catch more. Instead of waiting for the fish to come to me, I will walk the beach and look for them covering more territory. No way around it, the less you have to mess with the more time you can focus in on catching....

...When I fish bait, its one hook, hi/low style but without the low (less skates/sharks this way), less time changing baits. I have fished next to a guy with two rods out, 4 hooks, and we will wand up catching the same, but he is non stop busy checking bait, ect....

...2 each his own, that just my take on it...djc.
im the same way i have 1 set up and a backpack on with about every thing i will ever need in a days fishing.
i will end up walking as many as 2 to 3 miles when the days or night is over...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Same here carry one 8' pluging rod and all tackle in a fanny, pack side sling ,hands free ,and walk several miles casting and fishing the whole time cover more area. DWF

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bring:

2 bait rods + 1 Heavy Bunker Chunkin Rod (ya never know)

1 Larger wood rod

1 under 3 0z. plugger.

And of course, a couple older ones for the kids and nephew.

Scott

·
Registered
713 Posts
rods?

I carry either a 9' or a 10' in hand. The other of the two stays in the truck and I carry a lightweight 7' on my back with a sling in case small fish show up. All artificials out there for me. I rarely use bait.

·
Registered
303 Posts
One 10 footer for casting bait 4-6 oz.
One 7'6" for Bait shorter 2-4 oz.
One 8' Light plugger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When walking the beach or going to spots you cannot drive,I agree keep it simple. Driving on sometimes I like to try different things that"s when I bring alot with me.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Tailfish said:
When walking the beach or going to spots you cannot drive,I agree keep it simple. Driving on sometimes I like to try different things that"s when I bring alot with me.
Good point, can't drive here in CM, so its light travel for me. If I had a buggy and could drive on, I would probably bring more too..I like to walk on though, good exercise, plus buggies don't do too well on the rocks...:D...

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
When plugging (which is most of the time), I bring only one rod and a plug bag. I don't even bother to bring a sand spike. The whole point of artificialing is to be mobile, and you need to be as light on your feet as you can be.

When bait fishing, I'll bring more gear, and accept the fact that I'm pretty much going to be stuck in one spot. I'll bring three rods - a medium-heavy bait rod, a heavy bait rod (in case I want to dead stick a big chunk or a bunker head) and a plugging rod, if I want to throw stuff at bird play or bait balls.

I too have often thought of going the beach buggy route, and being able to carry 12 rods, all fully rigged, while driving the beach. But I'll not be doing that any time soon. The places that allow buggy use are too crowded, and a willingness to do even a little bit of walking can put you in a place that you have all to yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts