BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people write here all the time that takeing a small boat offshore is not to bright. So how many small boats get rescued that you know of and what happened? I remember one not so long ago that ran out of fuel 60 miles out but I think they had to be pretty stupid. I do here of a lot of bigger boats sinking

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nobody really knows.

Its like trying to figure out how many people were killed in the sunderbans, nobody really knows. And as India claims, humans are only a supplement to the Tigers in this area, and not the primary food source.

So if you are getting attacked, fear not. 1 - you wont know it as the Tiger will probably snap your vertegrate with bite #1. And number 2, you are just a food supplement.

Back to small boats sinking at the infamous "offshore" place. Its about several thousand small boats a year that founder and are lost. One of them made it to spain but that was a Regulator and probably a stunt done by the company to prove its hulls are tough.

Id like to see a Tiger vs a Regulator. That would be a good match up.

:)

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I see people write here all the time that takeing a small boat offshore is not to bright. So how many small boats get rescued that you know of and what happened? I remember one not so long ago that ran out of fuel 60 miles out but I think they had to be pretty stupid. I do here of a lot of bigger boats sinking
Must be alot considering all the replys :D

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
you won't get a lot of replys to this thread because the people that could verify the number of boats that sunk went down with the boat:eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
That show coast guard rescue alaska had on a small whaler that flipped. It looked like a 17ft montauk, they were island hopping trying to go hunting and went the wrong way 20 miles out to sea when a storm kicked up. When the helicopter came the boat was full of water but still right side up. They rescued the one guy off the boat but the boats owner refused to be rescued saying he wanted to take the boat back to shore safely if they could point him in the right direction :nuts:. After numerous attempts by the coast guard to get the guy off the boat he went for it and tried driving it home and then finally flipped the boat. Too much water unstable boat = flip.

I don't think a lot of small boats sink off shore, I think they are more likely to take on too much water due to bad conditions then they flip very easily

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
this was copied off the coast guard website

Kinda says it all..

OCEAN CITY, Md. – The Coast Guard rescued two adults and one child after their 22-foot recrea-tional boat began taking on water 60 miles east of Ocean City Tuesday. Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay received a call at 8:26 a.m. from a crewmember aboard the Real Deal, homeported in Ocean City, reporting they were taking on water and sinking. An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew form Coast Guard Air Station At-lantic City, N.J., arrived on scene and hoisted the three people aboard the helicopter. The people were transported to Ocean City Airport in Ocean City and transferred to awaiting emergency medi-cal personnel.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

Kinda says it all..

OCEAN CITY, Md. – The Coast Guard rescued two adults and one child after their 22-foot recrea-tional boat began taking on water 60 miles east of Ocean City Tuesday. Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay received a call at 8:26 a.m. from a crewmember aboard the Real Deal, homeported in Ocean City, reporting they were taking on water and sinking. An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew form Coast Guard Air Station At-lantic City, N.J., arrived on scene and hoisted the three people aboard the helicopter. The people were transported to Ocean City Airport in Ocean City and transferred to awaiting emergency medi-cal personnel.
was this recent?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i think alot of sinkings occur nowadays due to equipent failure. that can happen just as easily in a big boat as a small one- maybe even more so. thru hull fittings and hoses are usually to blame. big boats have more of them and they can be harder to inspect.... my boat has one. open a hatch and it stares you in the face. then while its on the trailer, i can take a look from the outside. i do think that some bigger boats can with stand impact of hitting something better than others.

now, weather related sinkings/swampings can and will happen anywhere, even just off the shoreline. and yes, small boats are the prime canidates. freak storms can surprise almost anyone, but going out in a boat ANYWHERE with a bad forecast is just foolish. but yes, ive done it. but i lived and learned.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's a matter of simple physics, not opinion.

Offshore = Bigger seas and more time required to get out of them.

Small boat = Less beam and greater chance of destabilization if beam-to in a steep sea approaching beam width.

How uncommon is a 6' - 8' sea 60 miles offshore? Even a beautiful bluebird day with a fresh westerly breeze can kick up a steep 8' sea far enough offshore. You don't have to venture out in a storm warning to get caught with your pants down.

What would it take to destabilize a 35' boat with 13' beam? Obviously there is much more room for error on a bigger boat.

Consider boat design as well - outboard vice inboard, open transom vice closed, leaky pie-plate hatches in a euro bracket and engine weight distribution.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Physics applies when it comes to hull contruction, especially. And so many boats are made of fiberglass. Its fast and easy, unfortunately heavy to get required strength.

I agree in general bigger boats are safer. But I will also say Id rather be in my well balanced small boat, than a junky boat 10 feet bigger.

And again, simple statements like 8 ft seas means a lot of things. It could mean you beat your brains out, and it could mean long period swell and your boat goes up and down but gently.

Ive been out so many times when guys are heard saying how nasty it is offshore, or how they had to come in because it blew up. Of course, the guys describing this are trying to punch their $100K (and lots more) boat show special through a wind driven chop riding on top of the normal waves at 25 kts and they think that its "rough" and "boy did NOAA blow it again". Physics is exactly what applies because that water they are trying to punch thru, weighs 64 lbs / ft3. Thats 1700 something lbs for a yard of seawater.... now if you havea very well engineered boat, it will be ok and you just make your passengers hurt. But you can also beat up the boat and split it open. The guys that run like 30-40 kts in all conditions, God bless them and to each their own but thats plain ....................................

Its almost an axiom of boating in NJ you will see these things each and everytime. The good news is once out past about 30 miles most of the guys are fishermen... and we dont have to listen to it again until we go the other 45-50 miles and then we shouldnt be there, we should be where the other nuts are driving their big heavy 100K fiberglass wakemakers around while mostly drunk, almost always sunburned, and not having a clue how to pull away from a dock.... :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Kinda says it all..

Why were they takeing on water? Because of seas or did something happen to boat?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
David599,
What part of "steep 8' sea" did you not read? Let's not confuse the issue further. I think most folks here already understand the difference between a swell and a breaking sea.

As for physics of construction, unless the boat is so poorly built that it breaks apart or has a center of gravity so high that the boat is not seaworthy, then construction itself plays little part in a swamping by wave action alone. A heavy FRP hull would only tend to lower a boat's cg, relative to the boat's height and topside construction method. Lower cg would improve stability.

If I'm at the mercy of a big breaking beam sea then I want a boat with as much weight as possible down low and on centerline. I wouldn't be too concerned with lightweight running efficiency at that point.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Great thread. I have often thought about this same issue.
If your in a 20' well built cutty style boat you would tend to bob with the waves. If your in a 40' boat the waves would tend to roll on you. This was my thought pattern. And under most days probably so. The problem is when you get a roller that breaks right over top of the boat. Self bailing cockpits cant get the water out quickly enough to keep you stable. Once you capsize your done, up rite or not. Then your lucky if you can get hold of CG in time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see people think a closed transom on a boat would be best I think they should build a small offshore boat with a full open transom that if wave comes over and into the boat it will go right out the stern.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
You guys keep talking about seas.

What about a floating log that punches a hole through your hull?

I see this perfect storm scenario playing out in people's heads. Why would you even be out there?

You should all be focusing on the REAL dangers that sink most boats:

-Mechanical failure. Losing a thru-hull, a hose, etc.
-Hitting something while underway

1 - 20 of 47 Posts