BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the guys who are chunking up the bluefin inshore, for a trip lasting from the predawn hours to midday chunking and jigging, how many flats of butters do you usually bring, and how aggressively do you chunk when they are hitting predominantly on jigs?
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
3 flats should do ya ,but we bring 4 just incase we have to make more moves than anticapated,and have at least 1 already cut up before we leave !!

we start out chunking heavey and fast,Then slow it down to 3-4 pieces till they disappear....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Chunking

Lots of informations about starting @ the 30 line & moving outward to 60. Wondering if trolling will bring up the biggins or start chunking right away. Also wondering how time people give into chunking if no bites.

·
Registered
881 Posts
A frozen flat of butterfish stays good all day in a cooler and can be used for subsequent trips. That is why we always go pretty heavy and take abt 5-6 flats. If I don't use it I just thrown it back in the chest freezer. Nothing worse than having tuna swimming under the boat and you can't keep them there because you just ran out of bait.

·
Registered
296 Posts
:eek: we use 2 flats for 6 rods in the water,both flats are cut up the night before with capt. johns e-z chunker it takes about 10-15 min. to cut up 1 flat which is really useful,we start with maybe one hand-ful at a time at first to get the slick going after half hour we only throw maybe 4-6 pcs. at a time ive learned you dont want to throw to much because all you will be doing is feeding them you just want to keep them thier not feed them,just enough to bring them into your slick 4-6 pieces wil keep thier attention throw them in till you cant see-um then again,again and if you hook 1 someone has to keep chunking to keep them thier. good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am used to the overnight chunk in the canyons, as I have never really done the inshore thing. Going to try it out and leave Monday afternoon, hang out Monday night, and be set up for the early bite Tues., weather peremitting of course.

I do know that with butterfish you want to check that their eyes aren't cloudy and that thier bellies aren't busted, also that they don't appear freezer burned. Check every box before you buy it. I had a real problem last year in my area, as I suppose many others did in getting quality butterfish as the gulf select was in short supply. Alot of bait shops switched to an alternate supplier (whose name escpaes me as of now) that was total trash, I mean garbage, when they defrosted they turned to mush (not just one slab but every slab that I saw from this suppliers was of poor quality, from multiple bait shops)

Tom W.
Christy-J
Channel 68/71

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
LaStChAnCe V said:
how many pounds to a flat and also how can you tell if the butterfish are fresh or are old? thanks

a flat of butters is about 22lbs to 25lbs.
the eys tell the story, sunken eyes or gone completely are last years fish..but will still work. what you want is a good flash and a good piece of meat. dont feed the fish what you wouldnt eat yourself.
I.E. if you look at your bait and say to youself I wouldnt eat that then the why on earth would a tuna eat it!! It has been tough to get good butterfish in this area latly and if you can find gulf frozen butters then get them. they may cost a lot more but are worth it!!
one other thing dont worry about feeding the tuna to much they eat 30% of their weight a DAY witch roughly translates, a 100lb tuna will eat 30lbs of food during the day..more then 1 flat of butterfish. times that by a school of tuna and well you can figure that out.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Nice read LOL !!

Bluewater sportfishing said:
a flat of butters is about 22lbs to 25lbs.
the eys tell the story, sunken eyes or gone completely are last years fish..but will still work. what you want is a good flash and a good piece of meat. dont feed the fish what you wouldnt eat yourself.
I.E. if you look at your bait and say to youself I wouldnt eat that then the why on earth would a tuna eat it!! It has been tough to get good butterfish in this area latly and if you can find gulf frozen butters then get them. they may cost a lot more but are worth it!!
one other thing dont worry about feeding the tuna to much they eat 30% of their weight a DAY witch roughly translates, a 100lb tuna will eat 30lbs of food during the day..more then 1 flat of butterfish. times that by a school of tuna and well you can figure that out.
Captain Kobey ! so what you basically saying is its pretty hard to over feed a school of tuna fish :cool: :p :D ,and that maybe the more you chunk the more tuna that may find you ?
So if i keep chunking Steady and Im marking Tuna Under the boat,and its Just a few Marks,If i keep at it ,I may turn a small school into a Huge School ????;) :eek:

Could it be possable That i may even keep them around the boat for Hrs. at a time feeding If i keep the chunks flowing even while fighting fish ???:D

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
When You Buy Your Butter's Look At One Flat To Make Sure It Was Not Refrozen Or Looks Old.if It Is Check Them All. It's Rare But Have Seen A Few Times It And It's Probably Not The Tackle Shop's Fault.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks biggest and bluewater....i know a place near me in pa where i can get good butters if thats the case...also its been awhile since we bought a flat how much do they usually run? thanks again

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
LaStChAnCe V said:
Thanks biggest and bluewater....i know a place near me in pa where i can get good butters if thats the case...also its been awhile since we bought a flat how much do they usually run? thanks again
ive seen um as low as 22.00 and as high as 30.00,Im sure their getting top dollar for the better Butters !!!!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
LaStChAnCe V said:
thanks vdawg hopefuly this will help us catch this week!
No problem !
when they are defrosted enough to cut up,as your cutting take out the best looking ones of the bunch,and put them aside in a few gallon zip lock bags and keep them iced down for your baits,

The ones with no kind of flaws,No slash marks,taers, nice fins, clear eyes,most colorful shinny,I like the Bigger ones also for baits

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
one more quick question--is the bite on the drift or anchor.. i know last year we had to achor due to the huge fleet and did well but was wondering if we are better off away from the fleet drifting or is anchored up ok too

·
Registered
395 Posts
when buying your butters regs for cutting up as chunks and try throwing in
some silver glitter in the mix this is what us old school guys use the flash is
great and goes deep and then buy the gulf butters for the hook baits and I
open every box and inspect only the best foolish if you dont

chucking is an art you'll get the hang of it

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
VDAWG said:
Captain Kobey ! so what you basically saying is its pretty hard to over feed a school of tuna fish :cool: :p :D ,and that maybe the more you chunk the more tuna that may find you ?
So if i keep chunking Steady and Im marking Tuna Under the boat,and its Just a few Marks,If i keep at it ,I may turn a small school into a Huge School ????;) :eek:

Could it be possable That i may even keep them around the boat for Hrs. at a time feeding If i keep the chunks flowing even while fighting fish ???:D
NO .................

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Bluewater sportfishing said:
NO .................
Dude you need to call me !! NOW LMFAO

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
B Daley said:
when buying your butters regs for cutting up as chunks and try throwing in
some silver glitter in the mix this is what us old school guys use the flash is
great and goes deep and then buy the gulf butters for the hook baits and I
open every box and inspect only the best foolish if you dont

chucking is an art you'll get the hang of it
I hear what your saying on the glitter !!

You may laugh But

I sometimes toss in all the coins in my pockets and pockets of others,as some extra flash ....

and if this isnt working and its all in my head than at least im payin homage to the fish gods ....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts