BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I set my drags on my jigging reels? With all the new reels out today what have these very high max drags and still have free spool. I'm more talking about Jersey bluefin. Like the 40 to 80 lbs fish. With 65lb braid. Thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
1/4 to 1/3 breaking strength of your line at strike is the general rule. if your leader is lighter than your mainline then set it based on the leader. if your mainline is lighter than base it on the mainline.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Seh that makes sense. I don't want to break your rods. The rods are shimano TVC58XH TVC58XXH TFC58H and the reels are shimano tyrnos 16 and canyon hs-15 and still need one more for the other rod.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I set all my reels at #18 unless we are bluefin fishing and then I would go a litter higher on the bigger reels. This year I am fishing more Spinning so drag can be tighten to lock down after the tuna's third run if need be

Get your drags good and hot before final adjustments, you can loosen drag and just reel away to get em hot (nice trick Hook showed me) or the time tested, hook on a cleat and run down the dock method. Hook's method is far safer at 5AM :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Fishing 60-65 lbs braid mainline with a 80-100lb wind on I've been using between 15-20 lb at strike the past couple seasons for NJ bluefin.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I use 16-18#, but rod and reel, depth, will matter sometimes. Honestly, the average person is not holding onto 40# anyway. Its just nice to know that you can lay into a fish if needed and that the reel is not maxed out at 15# and will function correctly. I don't think I go over 22-24 that often when I have to bump it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts