BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often do you change the say 20lb mono backing
and the 30lb power pro. every fall run? or do you leave the backing alone and just change the power pro or what ?. i assume the mono backing is incase the fish runs theres enough line to catch it. this will be my first fall run in the boat other than on the beach. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I personally change both in the spring and the
fall. You probably only need to change once a
year, but it really depends on how often you go.

[ 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Registered
908 Posts
The primary reason for backing...it would take
too much braid to fill the spool. Mono is less
expensive and the braid slips without backing.

[ 09-26-2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My experience with braid is that it will last for many seasons of light to moderate use (once a week to twice a month). One thing I do a couple times a year, however, is remove it from the reel and put it back on in reverse. In other words, the end that was connected to the backing is now at the lure end.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Have some on for 2 years but the way I loose rigs deepwaterflukin I usually have to add the topshot anyway after a couple of seasons

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Have some on for 2 years but the way I loose rigs deepwaterflukin I usually have to add the topshot anyway after a couple of seasons

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I agree with West Ave Mike. Just reverse it on a new spool and you have fresh new line. I only replace my PP if I get a snag and can't break it off at the hook and loose too much line. I also uni to uni if the slice is way down in the spool.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
New every spring and fall. I use Fireline and never had it fail.

I figure what we pay in fuel, rods, reels, boats and all the bells and whistles that line twice a season is no big deal.

Line is the most important connection between me and the fish. When the wall hanger hits I want the best connector I can get.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
What fred said(cunking) and because what seasunsalt said !!!!!!!! im talking my striper line now,for fluking i only change per season ...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I haven't really ever had to worry about my line being fresh. It seems I get spooled by sharks or get hung up on a reef. I've respool twice this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.