BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the third season on these topshots (started at 200 yards long before short/minor maintenance cutbacks).

First season they saw maybe 8 or so trips. Last season they saw only 2 due to some family priorities that came up.

So, at the beginning of season 3, do I replace them? They have seen minimal use, but of course they have seen the UV on those trips. I definitely subscribe to the thought process of “don’t spend all that money on fuel, bait, ice, etc. and let your gear fail for something stupid/cheap.” But I also don’t want to replace them if it is not necessary.

How often do you guys replace your topshots (assuming you have cut back any nicks, etc and have plenty of line still available)?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I would have replaced them after the first year. I can't imagine fighting a nice fish and thinking should I have replaced the top shot.JMHO
Even if it would work I don't want to be second guessing myself with a fish of a lifetime on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
every 3-5 years, dependent on use, normally 6-10 trips/year but i have longer top-shots ( 300yd on 50w's and 200yd on 30s), whenever the line looks cloudy or appears to have lost integrity it goes, also if there is any fraying, or there were any tangles where the line could have lost integrity... if i had shorter top-shots, i'd probably replace annually

·
Registered
451 Posts
Like most of the others here, at least once a season minimum. Usually most set ups will get changed twice a season. We are also constantly checking each topshot, and cutting back line, during and after each trip. We have 200 yard topshots so changing them out is simple, and not expensive, given all the other costs.

Chris-Wasabi

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
There is no time line, you need to replace them as needed, if you fight a bunch of fish on them, have to cut them back, they are abraded or knicked, line gets twisted, etc...... Its is easy and cheap

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Once a season is the minimum in my mind IMHO.

Run them out behind the boat occasionally, have someone reel it in for you, and let the line run thru your fingers. Feel any nicks..change the topshot. And don't be shy about cutting it back after a fish that may have given you a line rub against the boat, crossed lines where your topshot might have crossed braid, or any reason for that matter. Mono is super cheap....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I change mine at least 2 times a season. I fish hard and when i see wear, discolor, micro stress marks, chaff and line feels slightly dry (as in bridle or not silky smooth) they get replaced i also bring at least 2 backs w me on anyboat i fish when useing more than four of my rods.

Capt Steve
F.stop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts