BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this so sorry for the basic question... Their is a lot of talk of small feathers, but the smallest I can find are 6 inches (i.e. zukers). Which doesn't seem that small to me. So, how small is the small you are talking about? Where can I find them? What are Japanese Feathers?
One more question if I may...I run a small boat without outriggers. The talks of spreader bars is that you don't want the bar in the water, but since my boat doesn't allow me to run the bar off a high object I need to run it in close. I see there is a product called a bird bar, which I would assume would run in the water, splashing like a bird does. Would this be a better choice for the small boat operator?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
small feathers

small feathers are about 3". I know that Finatics in OC has them but you have to make the rigs your self. This is something I do in front of the tv. Making daisy chains is not very much money, and when you catch fis on them it is a bonus.
Mary's husband / Joe Termite

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would run your spreaders off either rods in you rocket launcher or just use your longest rods in a regular rod holder. As as Bob said use them on calm days. I would also get a set of Rod Riggers which I put a link to below just to show what I mean. But you may be able get them from Bob ECT or another Barn advertiser. http://www.boatersworld.com/product/477420061.htm

These are not for the spreader bars but more for seperating your spread. They will also help in the fall getting your diving lures deeper for stripers.

The smallest Jap feathers are usually in daisey chains that you can buy at lot's of places. I have done well with them for Mahi. But have been swiching over to small jet head lures that I can troll really fast to avoid blues.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Next time you are in your local tackle shop see if you can find the feathers that Blackie makes. I have a couple of them and they do work very well for just about anything on any grounds you are trolling. Red/white and green/yellow are good colors to start with. Green/yellow works especially well for Mahi.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Simple to try to get your Line a bit higher for pulling spreaders, try to tie off to the highest solid object you can find such as a t-top rail, ant mount etc. Use a rubber band or clip that the line will easily break away from once hit. I am constantly improvising as conditions warrant.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I have done just about every google search I can think of and can't find any 3 inch feathers. I think I will take a run down to the reel seat this weekend and see what they have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts