BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add another tackle locker in my pursuit under the helm chair I have to check out the rough measurements first.I would like to drill a deck plate / inspection cover size.Would a hole saw work well West marine /becton says use a jig saw what kind of blade for the glass. I do not want to make a mess.I am am retired carpenter so I have the tools just never cut into a $ fiberglass boat!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
jigsaw works well. Do not use a blade that is overly abbressive, yet not too fine. Also, do not cut the hole too big at first. It is always better to have to go back and cut more, rather than too big to start with.

·
Registered
21,010 Posts
I would also put duct tape on the base of the saw to prevent the base from marking up the fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Fiberglass is cake to cut. Mask the whole area with blue painters tape. This will keep you from marking a accidental area with your tools. Like said, a finer blade is best. I have special blades that look like they are wrapped in sand paper. Work great in glass, but not in wood.

Idealy you would have someone hold a shop vac up to the cuts to keep the dust down. If you find your sensitive to glass dust, like I am in July, coat your arms and hands in vaseline. It sounds crazy, but the dust sticks to it, and you can wipe it off before it soaks into your pores. I usualy carry a few tubs with me.

Like said, cut the hole smaller. I use a roto rasp (avalible in the drill bit section of HD) to fine tune the size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fiberglass is cake to cut. Mask the whole area with blue painters tape. This will keep you from marking a accidental area with your tools. Like said, a finer blade is best. I have special blades that look like they are wrapped in sand paper. Work great in glass, but not in wood.

Idealy you would have someone hold a shop vac up to the cuts to keep the dust down. If you find your sensitive to glass dust, like I am in July, coat your arms and hands in vaseline. It sounds crazy, but the dust sticks to it, and you can wipe it off before it soaks into your pores. I usualy carry a few tubs with me.

Like said, cut the hole smaller. I use a roto rasp (avalible in the drill bit section of HD) to fine tune the size.
Did you ever try baby powder? To cover your skin. We do it at work for insulation of pipe and duct work,and tried it on the boat. seems to help allot.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I want to add another tackle locker in my pursuit under the helm chair I have to check out the rough measurements first.I would like to drill a deck plate / inspection cover size.Would a hole saw work well West marine /becton says use a jig saw what kind of blade for the glass. I do not want to make a mess.I am am retired carpenter so I have the tools just never cut into a $ fiberglass boat!!!
Cutting glass is no problem....but I'd like to see exactly where you are going to cut this hole.. Can you post a pic or two of the spot you are thinking about cutting.. Then I can better direct you about how you'll need to seal the edges before you install the tackle box..

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cutting glass is no problem....but I'd like to see exactly where you are going to cut this hole.. Can you post a pic or two of the spot you are thinking about cutting.. Then I can better direct you about how you'll need to seal the edges before you install the tackle box..
It is on a pursuit 2470 under the helm seat ,on the opposite side under the port seat is a 4 or 5 drawer type tackle locker.I am sure you know the type.I had an email chat with a pursuit rep.he thinks it can be done but would not commit & I dont blame him.Well I saw a cheap model in west marine that is so so.I also googled it and a fellow in Fla.manufactures what seems to be a better looking on? I will try to get some pics before I do this but I dont know how .Will have to get my daughter involved in that .do you mean to seal up the raw edges after it is cut out ?Thanks much guys BB is the best

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.