BASS BARN banner

how to fish bloods from the surf

813 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Even Steven 
#1 ·
ok guys what rigs do you use to fish blood worms from the surf? little help please.. never fished with them....

#2 ·
single hook pompano (dropper loop) rig w/ a 3/0 or 4/0 baitholder hook. experiment w/ the loop size. sometimes a bigger loop is better than smaller and vice versa.

when the crabs get going, or if trying for night time summer weakies, try floating the worms. fish finder, 18-24" of leader, and a red float on top of the 3/0 bait holder.

#4 ·
Philly are you targeting Stripers this Spring or Kingfish this Summer? If you are fishing for stripers you could use those pompano rigs but if you tie into a big girl you may be in trouble. I would try going with a bigger hook if you are going for Spring Stripers in the surf.

GSBB

#5 ·
yeah, my recomendation was for the smaller stripers that tend to eat worms this time of year from popular sod banks or the beach. if your still fishing worms in later spring & may/june you def want to change to bigger hooks & a fish finder rig.

depending on what lb line you use for the pompano rig, its good for fish in the low to mid 30's of inches. and even for that size fish you want to up the hook size to 5/0-6/0 at least.

from the beach worms will get you #'s of fish but a gob of clam will still get the bigger ones early in the season. and in a few months it will be clam getting the smallers one with bunker taking the bigger fish.

#7 ·
Loop in the bottom for the lead and a dropper loop a foot up with a floating jighead on short leader. Ran into an old timer when I was like 8 fishing the rocks. I had my standard flounder rig on and he rigged me up with the floating jighead rig and a chunk of sheddar crab. I caught my first weakie and still use the rig today. Bloodworms or sheddar crab.

Ive never really tossed bloods for bass though, they come up with red chins like they are digging around so you might be better off letting it hand on the bottom.

RyanF

#8 ·
RyanF said:
Ive never really tossed bloods for bass though, they come up with red chins like they are digging around so you might be better off letting it hand on the bottom.
I agree with this. Stripers are definitely more of a bottom feeder 85% of the time, though they can certainly be coaxed to the surface on occassion with a topwater popper. They were clearly poking around the bottom at one of my spots last fall as tummies contained lots of calico crabs and red chins were prevalent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.