BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished the flats but it sounds like a great place to wet a line and it's about the same distance as IBSP for me. I've never fished there because I figured you need a boat and I'm land locked. Can you fish the flats off a bank, or in a kayak?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The area is very fishable by Yak, unfortunately there is really no place to try by land. Since most of the area is very shallow <3 feet you can probably get to some places nobody else can. I imagine you can launch by Elk Neck state park and be a short paddle from Turkey Point which historically has produced well. Good Luck

The Wasteman

·
Registered
820 Posts
Bar,
I was hoping to do the same. I have a kayak, and live right around Horsham as well. If you are interested in a weekend-day trip, let me know. I am unfamiliar with the flats, but I am willing to give it a shot. Let me know when you plan on going. I would be interested in checking it out.
Brent
aka fly fish

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most of the Yakkers launch out of the park on Carpenter's Point on the north end. This puts you very close to the Flats (less paddling) and a lot less likely to get run over by the Bass boats:)

The alternative is launching into the Northeast River from the picnic area at Turkey Pt. St. Pk.
This is midway between Red Pt and Turkey Pt. Sometimes this can be a long paddle if the fish are up on the shallows!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I have never fished there but hope to give it a shot this year by boat. I have heard of bass taken from land but I am not sure where. You will probably get some more imput, I know quite a few fish there. It will be interesting to see what results you get. Good Luck. As soon as the fish start biting it will get loaded with boats so maybe land fishing might be best.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are very few opportunities for fishing the Flats from land. There is some limited areas on the West side (Northeast River side) of Turkey Pt. State Park. The other access is from Perryville. Some of this access is private land and VA hospital. Not much public access. The majority of fishing is done by boat for that reason. Yak is better than land since you can get into the shallow areas from Carpenter's Pt.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by Fly fish:
Bar,
I was hoping to do the same. I have a kayak, and live right around Horsham as well. If you are interested in a weekend-day trip, let me know. I am unfamiliar with the flats, but I am willing to give it a shot. Let me know when you plan on going. I would be interested in checking it out.
Brent
aka fly fish
If you guys are gonna yak it drop me a line.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Nope - was supposed to with HIP last year but the conditons sucked everytime we talked about goin.

I really want to do it this year. I love yak fishing flats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Flats are my home waters and very fishable from a yak. You can launch from Perryville Park and fish the northeast side of the flats or the many ramps at Hauve De Grace and fish the Northwest side of the flats (very product water)

Launching from the Turkey point Elk River side of Elk Neck State Park south of Northeast MD is more than what I call a short paddle to legal fishable water. But, some do do it .... that is why I own a Mokai for that launch ;) But it allows one access to the southwest corner of the flats.

Most fish either sink tip or sinking lines early in the season then go to intermediates or floating lines later in the season. Most important tool on the flats is a surface temp meter. Look for the warmest clearest water and be prepared for a striper sliegh ride.

Good luck guys....hope to see you out there

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks Jim. I'm starting to get pumped with all of the warm weather we are supposed to get in the next few days. Can't be long now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts