BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would pose this question since there are some large fish around right now. What is the protocol for having a fish mounted? Do you just immediately put it on ice? What is the length of time you can generally have the fish out of water from catch to mount?

And lastly and most importantly, who are the best at doing these mounts? Any places around from the Bucks County area down to South Jersey?

Am I missing anything important?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

So the old method with using the fish isnt really the preferred method anymore? My old man did it the old way and still holding up with no wear n tear and no signs of cracking.

Anyone know a taxidermist? Or someone who does the fiberglass method?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just returned from a trip to Cabo. Caught a Striped Marlin, like the above said, take pics and note length, girth, etc. The people we fished with used an outfit in Fla. I am sure you can reach out to them as well. Message me for info on the firm.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad about keeping a 50 pound plus fish and having it mounted. I think when a fish gets to a certain age they are more worried about surviving the rigors of the ocean than reproducing. How many 70 yr old men have reproduction as their #1 thought?

·
Registered
235 Posts
ES - There use to be an excellent taxidermist next to the bucks county mall - A R Stasche 321 street road. Growing up in a tackle shop I saw his father's work done in the 60's and learned he did exceptional work for the Smithsonian. The son took it over and did a 35lb striper for me in 86. Back then he tried to convince me to get a replica mount - new at the time. He said he had been sued too many times for doing skin mounts saying that stripers have a lot of oil in the head and it eventually bleeds out. I told him I was familiar with his and his father's work and understand the situation. he was reluctant but I eventually convinced him to do a skin mount for me. He was right though. Oil eventually seeped out below the gills. My suggestion is take a pic and get measurements - length and girth - then let it go. That was the only large I ever caught. I felt guilty and vowed not to kill another large after that.

·
Banned
412 Posts
There is no reason to keep a giant only to have it mounted. There Is a company called King Sailfish mounts out of Florida that do great work. like the above posts said all you need is some pictures and Length & girth. Give them a try it benefits the fishery and other fisherman not to mention the mounts are so amazing and will last forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts